Sign in to follow this  
tug

VR6 antifreeze leak!

My VR6 has been losing water recently, checked under the bonnet it seems to be leaking from the water housing on the right hand side of the block. There's three plugs & some hoses going into it if that helps...

Is this a fairly common problem? Will I have to replace the whole thing or is it likely to be seals or summat?

Cheers for any advice!

:D

Replacing the housing is a good plan as it's plastic and sometimes warps. It is a very common leak point on the VR6. Change the thermostat and it's seal whilst you're there and also the housing-to-block O ring. Do not be tempted to splurge silicon sealant all over the joints....just makes matters worse. There's also an O ring that seals the long transfer pipe from the water pump, change that too.

Kev

Thanks!

Hopefully that'll sort it.

Any idea how much a new housing is likely to set me back?

I had exactly the same problem with my vr6. The thermostat housing was £25 from my local VW garage. I was shocked at how cheap it was. Seals are couple of quid in total.

good luck with it!

Simon

you guys dont know how good this tread is to read, i was getting worried about my engine. its the same problem!!! :D

They are a swine to do. I did a few of them when i worked for vw. Very tight indeed but if you take your time you will get it done. I am sure it is 5or 6 mm allen keys that hold the housing to the block. Make sure you have a good allen socket. If you round the bolt its a bloody nightmare. Good luck. :D

I found it easier to remove the coilpack first and I also had the radiator out at the time which made it an absolute doddle, but if the rad is in situ.....not a pleasant task.

Kev

I think I must be the unluckiest VR6 owner in Britain!

I've got every common problem going by the sounds of things; the car cuts out, my thermostat housing is leaking and I've got a passenger side internal water leak as well!

Aargh! :D

I think I must be the unluckiest VR6 owner in Britain!

I've got every common problem going by the sounds of things; the car cuts out, my thermostat housing is leaking and I've got a passenger side internal water leak as well!

Aargh! :D

With the exception of the cutting out, the other two are easy to sort and I think pretty much all VR6 owners have suffered a cut-out at some point!

K

"I've got every common problem going by the sounds of things; the car cuts out, my thermostat housing is leaking and I've got a passenger side internal water leak as well! "

Guess what happens when you have more than 1 Corrado...

Got a new thermostat housing and all the o-rings to go with it at the weekend. Changing it over today, so hopefully that'll solve the problem.

Cheers for the help! :D

I have just discovered another leak from the left of the block as you look at it from the front. It seems to be from under the alternator. That's where the main water pump is right? Sounds costly to fix if the alternator has to come out. Can't see exactly where the leak is from though, can only see it from under the car with limited access. Will try and have a proper look under the car soon. Any obvious places to look out for whilst I'm under the car? :(

Probably just the transfer pipe seal, or maybe the bleed screw's seal. Both live down on the block under the alternator.

If the pump pops it's seal, you'll get a puddle on the floor under the pulleys.

Replacing the pump is actually very easy and cheap too. Takes about 2 hours tops. No need to remove the alternator as the pump is embedded in the block, pulley side. You undo the front and rear engine mount top bolts, disconnect the power steering bracket from the gearbox, remove the airbox etc, jack the engine (check no looms will stretch and break first) up so that you can get to all 3 pump pulley bolts, crack them off with a 6mm hex socket using the belt tension as a 3rd hand, release the tension on the belt, remove the pulley and old pump and then put it all back together again with a fresh pump. The pumps are about £25 from G&S.

Refilling the coolant is fun but the major tip here is to *not* refill via the expansion tank, but rather the rad top hose. More on that as and when you do it.

HTH

K