Sign in to follow this  
jackflash

BMC CDA VR6 cold air ducting

Has anyone got any pics of where they've run the ducting for their BMC (or similar)? Cause I'm having problems trying to find the best place to get a good cold air feed to the airbox whilst still being able to actually fit it in the engine bay without interferring with anything...

I wouldn't be in a massive hurry to remove the carbon canister, the motronic ECU appears to like having it and it's associated valves connected. CrazyDave looked at this a while back and found it improved his running problems when he refitted it.

Id either leave it off, or cut a short piece to roughly line up with the original inlet point behind the headlight.

i relocated the carbon canister with mine and fitted the tube down in its hole to behind the bumper

the carbon canister fits flat under where the cda fits and also acts as something to keep the air filter up so it fills the space nicley

i relocated the carbon canister with mine and fitted the tube down in its hole to behind the bumper

the carbon canister fits flat under where the cda fits and also acts as something to keep the air filter up so it fills the space nicley

cheers for the pics, that's the route I'm gonna take I think. I know loads of people have taken the canister off altogether but I'm not sure I fancy the fuel tank breather pipe flapping around letting (albeit a small amount) of fuel vapour around the engine bay...

my views to the canister is fitted and is there for a reason so if not needed to remove it then why remove it

the top pic kinda shows it under the filter

I removed my canister with no running issues at all, why should there be? You can poke the fuel tank vent pipe out into the wheelarch to stop fumes entering the under bonnet space. You can then run your cold air ducting through the carbon canister hole.

If you remove the carbon canister, disconnect the evap valve aswell (the blue solenoid on the turret) otherwise Motronic will think it's still drawing in fuel vapours and adjust the map accordingly.

If the solenoid is disconnected and the throttle elbow plugged, the running won't be affected.

You will get a VAG-COM error, but ignore it.

As for the cold air pipe, I found it blunts throttle response. The intake tract is too long with it fitted.

thats interesting about it blunting throttle response to be honest i have never run the

filter without the cold air pipe to see if there is any difference

maybe next time i go out for a run i will take it off and see if there is any change