Sign in to follow this  
rustyturret

Which Weitec suspension to go for?

So my rear shocks have had it, I origanaly assumed it was the rear axle mounts but having replaced them the car is still gittery around bumpy corners! Mind you I now have a really cool little puller/jig I fabricated at work which I will hopefully never need again...

Anyhow back to my question does anyone have any preferences or thoughts about which kit to go for? I'm not looking for anything too hard as I have a very bumpy MK1 that rattles my teeth so dont want to go down that route!! Coilovers v shocks and sports springs....gt, tx, gtn, txn?

I was thinking about the either the hicon gt or tx...anyone got them and what do you think of the ride?

i have weitec coilovers on my G60 and think that they are really good, not crashy at all, forgotten which ones they are. they are height adjustable but not damping. cost around £500 iirc

Dan you have the weitec hicon gt's which are a very popular choice with corrado owners it seems as we supply quite a few sets per month...

yep good value kit and as with everything i've ordered from gwerks it arrives bloody quick :D i have no complaints about that kit as it was v easy to set up and considdering i do 400+ miles a week in the C its v v comfy 8)

i think i have the weitec ultra gt? not sure its just the springs and shocks, -40mm.

i'd only get if it your stuck and in need of some suspension asap thats cheap, does the job but i still find my car is boaty and leans around corners, yet bumps are pretty harsh and the ride is very firm at slow speeds. Saying that i may have other handling issues, axle bushes maybe

Dan you have the weitec hicon gt's which are a very popular choice with corrado owners it seems as we supply quite a few sets per month...

thats the ones!

i've got the TX's height/damping adjustable, and they are superb. there even better than my old H&R comforts, and miles better than the konigsports that i had on before them :pukeright:

I had Hicon GTs freshly installed by Darren today :salute:

The ride back from G-werks this afternoon was great, good roads and decent flow of traffic. I really noticed the lack of nose lift when putting on the beans (and nose dive when braking hard a couple of times), plus it is much more level around corners :clap: Known 'crashy' roads are predictably bad, but then they always were with my OEM suspension, so no great disadvantage with the Weitecs it would seem...

I know I have minimal experience of these (only 150 miles!), but sometimes first impressions are the clearest :wink:

tx for me too, can't believe how flat my car is in the corners now, thought the ride was a bit hard at first but it soon softened up, probably the new mounts.

I had the height only adjustable Weitec coilovers fitted last year by voodoo motorsport, but I had all my bushes and mounts done too so I can't be too precise on their actual feel but as a package with all I had done I'm really really pleased. Sticks like glue and I wouldn't consider them uncomfortable at all, but as said, a bad road is a bad road regardless of suspension

Well the deed is done I have a set on the way. I'll post my opinion once I have given them a try but that may be a while as I am changing every bush on car/ links/ ball joints/ tie rods/ cv boots etc etc whilst she is stripped down....

weitec hicon gtn coilovers any good? They seem to be quite a bit cheaper than other coilovers i've seen. Cheers

Well after having the Hicon TX's on the car for a few days I have to say I'm very happy with the ride! I've got the damping on the lowest setting and the car handles like it's on rails and not harsh at all so all in all I can recommend them. I should say that I also installed poly bushes all round, replace tie rod ends, ball joints, poly ARB bushes and ARB links which also might of helped :lol:

My only initial criticism would be the plastic/metal insert - bottom adjuster/lock ring, it looks a little under engineered for the job. It's not really a locking ring as it grips the strut with nothing more than an M3 grub screw to lock out adjustment which you torque to 2-5 nm...hummmmm time will tell.....

Please do not over tighten the lock ring grub screw.. its more than adaquate for the job.. Im glad your happy with them and there up to your expectations

Darren.

My only initial criticism would be the plastic/metal insert - bottom adjuster/lock ring, it looks a little under engineered for the job. It's not really a locking ring as it grips the strut with nothing more than an M3 grub screw to lock out adjustment which you torque to 2-5 nm...hummmmm time will tell.....

I wouldnt worry about the plastic platform, I haven't heard of any failures on them yet, and they are the same ones fitted to the KW coilovers (in fact they have KW written on them) so there are plenty of them out there.

I have heard of quite a few failures on aluminium platforms though, from snapping or corroding.

I too have the hicon GT's and have covered plenty of miles with them and they have been great, no complaints.