Sign in to follow this  
zak

car pulling to the left under acceleration

Following the renewal of my steering components I have my car back on the road. As I changed the steering rack, rods and ends and had my hubs off to change the bearings my alignment was completely out. I have the car booked in for its alignment on Saturday morning but I have already aligned the wheels by eye best I could so I could take the car for a drive to check everything should be as it should. This is not as bad as it sounds on my car as I run it quite low and due to the width of the wheels and offset the face of the wheel is close to the lip of the arch so it

I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about yet - could definately be still down to the alignment being out somewhere. Get that done and see what is what.

when i recently did all my running gear, i roughly lined up the wheels by eye, but didn't take a huge amount of time over it, as the alignment place i use was not too far away. on the drive there, the car wanted to throw itself off the road! it really squirmed in all sorts of directions until they did the alignment - after that it was spot on.

i wouldn't worry about it - provided you have replaced everything correctly with new bits, it's not going to be anything else

ok i thought i could put it down to the alignment but needed some re assurance, i will put it in on saturday and see how it goes.

due to my first choice garage being too busy and the second choice garage not being able to track the car due to the ride height im going to have to wait untill next week now, on the plus side im glad i recently fixed my abs as it came in to use yesterday :eek:

my money is on alignment. I changed the rack on my mk2 16v a couple of years back, and when driving to the alignment place it used to pull left like a mofo and sqeal tyres around slow corners! :shock:

sounds like you should check the rear bushing on the wishbones, if one of those is shot it'll change the geometry when you accelerate or brake.

I changed the both the bushes on the control arm a few months ago, and i inspected them when i had the subframe off recently and they looked okay

top mounts have also been changed with genuine vag replacements earlier in the year. I think im going to get in the pit and make sure everything is correctly torqued on the subframe and rack before the car goes in on the weekend to put my mind at rest.

i had the alignment done today, camber was fine but the car was toeing in. Now it

Are the offsets and widths the same for your wheels? That can cause tramlining and camber following a lot.

do you mean are they the same on both sides?

I'm running 8 x 17's with et32 and 205/40/17 tyres all round, One other factor could be my ride height, it is rather low and this may have something to do with it.I've driven 250 miles today and the car's running okay, it drives in a straight line but if I accelerate it will pull to the left slightly. It