Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

The 3.0 286bhp M3 I want one!

Hi guys a mate off mine just brought one of the earlier M3's 286bhp 3ltr job

looks lovely the styling is spot on, loving the rear wheel drive too also they claim a 6sec flat dash so impressive for a car that size!

anyone had any experiences of these!

Cheers Andy (hopefully ill get a ride soon) :clap:

but its not vw :nono:

Imagine the tax costs aswell as fuel bills

it'll have the same RFL as any Corrado btw

A friend of mine has one and it is an awesome car!! It sticks to the road like sh1t to a blanket and the acceleration is very impressive!!

I prefer my uncles old skool E28 M5, now that thing is awesome...

One of my mates used to have a E36 3.0 M3, was tuned and derestricted.

Hit 315bhp on the rollers and he had an indicated 175mph with roof down and it wa still pullin hard.

I borrowed it a few times, was immense fun!!!

Comin out of junctions, bit of right foot and eaaaaaasy to get back end round, top fun.

I would well have one, well tbh I have got my eye on a V8 M5 in a year or so

I work on 3 E36 M3's, one non Evo 3l and two 3.2 Evo's.

To me the 3l is a much rawer driving experience, the later 3.2 whilst being supposedly quicker didnt feel as frantic due to the longer ratio'd 6 spd box.

Ive fitted Alpha N to my mates 3l with the full Carbon intake, to say it sounds awesome is an understatement.

Most Evo's will pull anything between 300 and 315bhp on the dyno,

They were never 321bhp as most people thing but 321PS which equates to 317bhp.

Most 3 Litre's however exceed the 286bhp book figure.

You also do not get the twin Vanos growl on the early engine.

Rot can be a problem on all of them,arch lips, floorpans, and the seam above the bumper on the rear quarters are favourite rust traps.....

I personally felt the E36 M3 was a strange car because the amazing limpet like grip and traction from the rear is completely at odds with the lifeless, dull, undergeared, over assisted steering. It was that bad for me personally, I could never buy one. Steering feel is very important to me and I can't live with cars that have none. Audis, Mercs, MK4 golfs, they're all the same. It's like steering a Video game wheel.

The 3 litre engine is nice though, very nice. The rest of the car is pretty average though imo.

Drive an E46 or current M3 and you'll immediately see how far the M brand has improved since the E36.

I'd rather buy the Z3 M coupe if I was to invest in an E36 based M car. Although it's got the E30's rear axle arrangements, it's a complete brute of a car and far more interesting to drive than the E36 imo.

well tbh I have got my eye on a V8 M5 in a year or so

Now you're talking, good choice. I've been weighing up some options on buying one of those too. Apart from the oil thirsty engine, there don't appear to be that many issues with it. Think I'll go and test drive some!

Never found the steering to be undergeared or lacking in feel, the 3 litre has a variable ratio rack which is V.expensive therefore its not uncommon for it to be replaced with a no variable rack from a lesser 3 series.

Alot depends on the set up of the chassis and i dont doubt there are dogs out there.

I think the E36 is a great car for the money, you cannot compare it with the M Coupe as they are holding their money very well and are not in the same league moneywise.

It's just what I experienced and I don't like that kind of steering. I'm sure when it was brand new it may have been a more coherent package, but it still lacks the granular feedback many of it's rivals possessed.

The C43 AMG was it's closest rival at the time and that was the same, totally lifeless steering. What is it with the Germans and their inability to get a car to talk to it's driver properly?

And the auto only option?! Why ruin a perfectly good engine with a crap slushbox. It put that car leagues behind the Evo because of it. The Handling is actually very good.....for a merc.

Anyway, I digress.

Mty comparison to the Z3M Coupe was purely out of personal preference, nothing to do with cost.

totally agree on the z3m coupe what an awesome car and how different it is from its hair dressers roots

would have one if I could afford the insurance... maybe in a couple of years

I was behind a Z3M Coupe at some dual carriageway traffic lights on Saturday.

You rarely ever see them, and rarer still to see one pull away with a boot full of revs, so it was a treat indeed to be wasted off the lights :D

Evo managed a 4.3 second to 60 :shock: I think that's quicker than the current V8 M3?

The missus was with me at the time and she really did not see the appeal :D But you get that from most people. Only those in the know understand the appeal of the Z3M coupe :wink:

i have to say that the Z3 M is a nice nice car and strangely dont laugh my first thought it reminded me a bit of the jensen interceptor not in a bad way!

but like alot of you said they have held there money so well and some getting on for 9 years old now and still pulling 15-18k thats insane saying they were out the box they were £36k

Kev back to the m3 most of the reviews ive read are quite positive, but ill lay my hands down on this one and say I havent driven one and that you are alot more experienced in the technical side of things (tandino - the part you write about the rust that was one of the main worries my friend had)

cheers Andy

Whats years were the non-evo 3.0L ones made from?????

Anyone on here ever owned one????

93- Late 95.

Ive had the use of one over a period of time, ie my mate lives in Singapore and i get to look after his.

Whats years were the non-evo 3.0L ones made from?????

Anyone on here ever owned one????

93- Late 95.

Ive had the use of one over a period of time, ie my mate lives in Singapore and i get to look after his.

Thanks for that. Just having a Think???? Whats the MPG like and is there anything major I should be looking at if I go look at one, also any good Beemer forums out there???? Thinking of crossing to the dark side of German car ownership..... :hitler:

All depends on how you drive it,

But on a run 30mpg is easily attainable.

if you get stuck in traffic then its a bit like a Vr - it will drink the juice but as long as you are moving they are very good,

Obviously if you drive it like a nutter on the road it will be in the teens.

Just for reference my mate has been pootling round in his Evo the last couple of weeks and has averaged nigh on 40mpg :lol: ,

Main thing to watch on the 3 litre's is engine oil leaks,- usually the cam cover, exhaust rear box will rot its outer skin and they are not cheap, rot on previously mentioned areas, rear trailing arm bushes.

Make sure the rack is tight, what seems to be worn inner track rods can be the rack itself and on the 3 litre its a specific part and is not cheap.

General servicing costs are V.good if you do it yourself, only things like engine,brakes,exhausts and suspension is specific.

One of my mates has just bought one (although I think it's the 340bhp one) and it's soooo quick. The thing is that when driving it normally it behaves like a normal car and it very smooth and quiet. Put the boot down and it becomes a totally different animal! And the noise! Awesome, particularly with the roof down. Not had a go yet and I very much doubt I will :(

All depends on how you drive it,

But on a run 30mpg is easily attainable.

if you get stuck in traffic then its a bit like a Vr - it will drink the juice but as long as you are moving they are very good,

Obviously if you drive it like a nutter on the road it will be in the teens.

Just for reference my mate has been pootling round in his Evo the last couple of weeks and has averaged nigh on 40mpg :lol: ,

Main thing to watch on the 3 litre's is engine oil leaks,- usually the cam cover, exhaust rear box will rot its outer skin and they are not cheap, rot on previously mentioned areas, rear trailing arm bushes.

Make sure the rack is tight, what seems to be worn inner track rods can be the rack itself and on the 3 litre its a specific part and is not cheap.

General servicing costs are V.good if you do it yourself, only things like engine,brakes,exhausts and suspension is specific.

Cheers :clap: Are there Any good Beemer Forums out there?????