Sign in to follow this  
Matt GTi

Gearbox oil.

I want to get the gearbox oil on my VR changed, as the changes don't feel really positive. I do have a slight problem getting the car out of reverse sometimes as well. I changed it on my MKII GTI, and it made the world of difference. Should I use the same stuff as I did for my golf, (Redline MTL was very good), or perhaps something else. Also how much will I need?

Cheers guys.

Redline MT90 is about as good as you can get to be honest. I use it my VR with Slick50 gear additive. Nice and sweet change :lol:

Kev

Just exhuming this thread as I noticed Halfords now sell Castrol SMX-S, which is a fully synth GL4 75/85 weight oil. £10.99 a litre. It's good stuff and an alternative to Redline, and is much easier to get hold of!

Just exhuming this thread as I noticed Halfords now sell Castrol SMX-S, which is a fully synth GL4 75/85 weight oil. £10.99 a litre. It's good stuff and an alternative to Redline, and is much easier to get hold of!

I've used Castrol TAF-X which is designed for VAG gearboxes but unfortunately hard to get hold of. Halfords don't stock it its one for the local motor factors.

TAF-X is a generic 75W/90 GL4. VW probably just endorsed it but it's not VW specific, but that, Redline, Mobil or the stuff above are all good.

What about 2 quarts + slick 50?

Yeah that's what C&R do and what I subsequently did, more or less 2 litres then.

Still works out at over £40 though....

£20 for the Castrol synth is better value I think!

Just got 3 quarts of MTL from Delta Oil.

Cost 44.14 including delivery.

Speak to Graham on 01572 768331. mention you are a club menber

Got good service too, ordered on tuesday AM. Oil arrived sometime before 3PM wednesday. :)

You guys do know that redline dont actually make their own oils, its some other companys oil bottled and marketed by Redline ...no doubt at a nice mark up an all.

Im gonna stick in some comma SX75w90 Synthetic Based its only £7 a litre made and packaged by them and you aint paying a healthy premium for the middle mans cut!

Damn it Dinkus youve guilted me into buying nothing but the best again for my VW Credit Corrado :mad:

Nah only joking thanks for the thread :)

Damn it Dinkus youve guilted me into buying nothing but the best again for my VW Credit Corrado :mad:

Nah only joking thanks for the thread :)

Only the best will do ;) The Redline from Demon Tweeks is pretty cheap tho, so it's not all bad

So what's the final word, is it redline cause want to change mine before the winter and its easy for me to get it over here in the US.

Yep, Redline MT90. Two bottles of.

You'll need a 17mm hex key to remove the drain and fill plugs too.

And another tip: The filler hole is in a silly place, so run some tubing down from the top of the engine bay and into the hole. There's no other way to get the oil in unless you have a pressurised bottle.

K

kevhaywire, Good looking out, i'm gonna go get myself 2 bottles right after work and i'll take your advice about how to get to the filler hole cause i was wandering about that myself

Thanks...:)

Good luck. Apply lots of grease to the gear linkages (on the box) whilst you're there and you should have a nice smooth shift, the gear oil will help with that too. On the box, you'll see a black box and a swing arm with a counter weight, get as much grease as you can onto the mechanism under the black box as that tends to run dry causing a gratey shift. You'll see what I mean when you manually change the gears by turning the swing arm/counter weight left or right.

P.S You'll only get 1 and half of the bottles in the box. That's normal as the box retains half a litre which you can't get out. When the oil starts pouring out of the filler oil, quickly put the filler plug back in and that's the correct amount.