Sign in to follow this  
radness

KR Cam and the forbidden ebay chip

Guys, I got the KR cam put into my 9a but i haven't noticed as much an improvement as i'd have hoped. A mate told me i need to chip it so the fueling is up and so the engine can take advantage of the new KR cam. Theres a chip on ebay from a german seller which has good reviews from one or two of my mates, is it worth a try or does the 9a "learn" from a number of trips that it now has a KR cam? As I have read on here that the KR cam seems to get better over time. :shrug:

well, in my opinion, you should go and adjust the CO with the specified machine...

anyway, kr cams improove at high revs, you knew it, didn't you?

...I have a couple of KR cams for sale :norty: :norty: :norty:

well, in my opinion, you should go and adjust the CO with the specified machine...

anyway, kr cams improove at high revs, you knew it, didn't you?

...I have a couple of KR cams for sale :norty: :norty: :norty:

Whats the CO? , i'm such a newbie.

Yeah i knew it'd affect higher revs but i also nooded around 3000rpm + it seems to have changed something. i was expecting more pull around 5000 revs though, it just seemed to have happened, seems like it's running low on fuel around 5000-6500, like it could be getting more

it should be adjusted by a professional. I can't say CO in English :lol: I am spanish, maybe you use a differen word for it :D

CO machine is the one which they connect to the back box

Yup get the mixture checked to make sure your fueling properly.

Also timing etc will need checking too.

Do you have exhaust and filter mods too?

yes, it is what I was refering to :notworthy:

I have milltek and powerflow cat, no filter change. So noone have tried a chip and it's helped? I know ideally someone who looks at my car by itself would produce a better result than a chip designed for "all 9a's"...but chip £40, remap £200+ :(

Chip really bad idea?

but chip £40, remap £200+

... adjusting CO correctly: £0.

How does one do that for £0? :lol: From what I've read you need an emissions tester in the exhaust sniffer pipe and monitor this while adjusting it? or am i wrong?

How does one do that for £0? :lol: From what I've read you need an emissions tester in the exhaust sniffer pipe and monitor this while adjusting it? or am i wrong?

My point really is that chipping or remapping an engine that's fuelling incorrectly is not smart: get the basics right first, before you decide what to do next.

My point really is that chipping or remapping an engine that's fuelling incorrectly is not smart: get the basics right first, before you decide what to do next.

+1

You can't remap a KE-Jetronic engine any way.........

The ECU only handles the ignition side of things, as nothing to do with the fuel! That is sorted out by the Metering head! Sounds like it needs a good rolling road tune, ask about your local area for peeps good with K-Jets!

When I had the KR in mine, flowed the head and fitted Schrick 268 cams! Ran like a bag of poo till it was tuned then it absolutley flew :norty:

I went to stealth on monday to get my 9a set up. It has the kr cam, a full stainless and jetex panel filter. I got 147bhp at 6k if i remember correctly.

What Vince said to me was that the 9a can be chipped although it is a primitive engine management, it is the kr that can't be chipped so must be set up with little tweaks to the CO etc.

Vince told me that mine was running very lean at the top end and it would need a remap/chip tune to get it right at the top end.... couldn't afford it though :(

Just my opinion from a professional!

Also he said to stay away from ebay chips as they only alter the smallest amount of fuelling so that when engine is chipped, the ecu recognises it as a different map if that makes sense?!

Steve's right, you can't remap those ECUs.

I've heard conflicitng views on that. I know K-Jet is a no but I thought the KE-Jet was a little more clever and there is some scope for remapping.

I think I'll email JKM in Portsmouth and see what they say.

nick

chipping is different to remapping. Which one are you talking about? :nuts:

Not really. They are just different methods by which you change the coding of the ECU. A remap is changing the code on the existing unit and chipping is changing the actual chip itself. The result of both of these actions however is the same and the terms have become essentially interchangable and to mean the same thing.

Nick

Not really. They are just different methods by which you change the coding of the ECU. A remap is changing the code on the existing unit and chipping is changing the actual chip itself. The result of both of these actions however is the same and the terms have become essentially interchangable and to mean the same thing.

Nick

You contradicted yourself a fair bit there Nick! I say they're different methods, so you say "not really. they're just different methods" :nuts:

*gets bored*

Nick

You contradicted yourself a fair bit there Nick! I say they're different methods, so you say "not really. they're just different methods" :nuts:

*gets bored*[/quote:tt9t4umq]

My point was you are asking which one the OP was talking about and I was pointing out it doesn't matter as both are the same in meaning if not in execution. Whether the 9a is reprogrammable by changing the chip or just rewriting it is immaterial, the question is whether that code can be changed by any means full stop.

Unless I misunderstood your post.

Nick

the 9a with motronic controls the fuel by adjusting the fuel pressure regulator on the side of the meter -( motronic cars have no WUR like the kr's ) - autotech in the US do chips called Q-chips for about $100

Righty so 9a's can be re-mapped (chipped)?

Nick, did you get a price?? Thinking about getting mine sorted with KR cam (in the shed) or possibly a stage-2 KR head/road cams swop and keep the 9a management...