Sign in to follow this  
zak

vr6 hot centre tunnel +plastic console

after about an hours worth of driving the centre tunnel starts to get hot, after driving for longer periods the plastic centre console around the the handbrake also gets hot. Its rather annoying in the summer as the cabin gets hot. Is this normal or is something wrong?

sounds about right, the exhaust runs underneath the tunnel and will cause it to heat up a bit, especially when sitting in traffic, it might be worth checking that the heat shielding is still in place and wasnt removed by the previous owner for some reason if its getting too hot, does the exhaust knock at all when going over bumps?

i know the exhaust runs along the underside of the tunnel but the heatshield is still in place, the exhaust is fitted correctly and there is adequate clearance. I just dont understands why this doesnt happen on other cars and it happens on my corrado.

The cat' is under the centre armrest which probably runs hotter than the rest of the exhuast. I've always found Corrado cabins to be hotter than other non-AC cars' cabins. It doesn't help with a big VR6 in the front either!

Your CAT may be getting old and clogged as they are known to run much hotter at that point.