Sign in to follow this  
flusted

Best brand of tyre to stretch on 9x16

Whats a selection of brands best suited for stretching onto 9x16 borbets? Been suggested 215/40/16 but do i go toyo's federals? any better than others for stretching?

Thanks in advance

205/40 falkens ZE912 should give a safe but nice stretch... falkens have always been good for stretchness

dunlop sp9000 215/35/16 are perfect but are quite pricey and now difficult to get hold of. You could also go falken 205/40/16 which is what Ballys running on his 9x16's and they are also look good too and are cheaper.

this mk2's running 215/35/16's sp9000's on the back

afbeelding3301vu.jpg

this is bally's running 205/40/16's falkens all round

DSC01042-1.jpg

good pics n info, so your suggesting 205 instead of 215? would rather play it safer than over stretch?

205/40 falkens ZE912 should give a safe but nice stretch... falkens have always been good for stretchness

And always been good for been very poor for grip.

I think the Marangonis are been used by a few now.

:cuckoo: Falkens are shoite! they might stretch but they are appaling tyres in the wet and they break away in the dry too!!

I have 215 40 16 Continental sport contact 2`s on my 9x16s, they fit and grip superbly, got a set of 4 for £260 from east coast tyres on Flebay, they have a great "F1" type straight line assymetric tread pattern too 8)

Cant fault them wet or dry, i have had toyos, yokos, falkens, goodyears, and the next best tyre to a Continental is a Yoko, i wouldnt entertain anything other than them and maybe a toyo, but they wear out a lot quicker

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

Used to have some Toyo Proxes T1-S on my my car when I bought it (215/40/16's I think) on 9x16 Borbet T's - they seemed fine and went on a set of 7.5x16 wheels for a fair few thousand more miles before being retired!

if you want/need the clearance go for the dunlops their 215/35/16 is a lower profile than 205/40/16's

By the look of the width of them rims you arent gonna be able to run too low :shock: I can see they are Borbets but they just look soooooooooooo wide.

my fronts seem to look narower? maybe its the lack of bumper flare and tyre? having checked and measured mine up 40mm is easily gonna clear at the front, any more than that and its gonna get close sometimes afaik..........I do hate that Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise as you hear your expensive tyres/alloys wearing away your expensive paint :pukeright:

just seen my mates mk2 and hes running 205 40 16s on borbet bs, they are federals and seem to fit nice so more tempted to go 205 40 but a better brand.

Mine are defo borbet A, ET 15, 9x16

mines running 215/40 atm on 9x16. when it comes to it im gonna change to 205/40 and im running falcons. only budget ones tho but they look good on a stretch. shame they still catch a tad on the rear. i have 7.5 for the front so they're ok :)

i run avon zz3 in 205/40/16 on borbet a 9x16 and have found them to be good tyres in both wet and dry you do get a bit of tramlining but i expect it running wide wheels there not too much of an obscene stretch either

Another vote for Dunlops (SP2000s), from my polo-ing days - 8s with a 175 was a bit crazy but it did work! (previous owner)

Also - I found the Bridgestone Potenza RE720s to be the best tyre I've ever used

Put 205 45s on mine to try and be safe, bought hancocks v12 cause they were much cheaper than proxys. The tread looks nice and they were easy to stretch apparently. Haven't tested in the wet but in the dry seemed to hold well when first put them on.

Heres a pic of the rear hope this helps a bit

i run avon zz3 in 205/40/16 on borbet a 9x16 and have found them to be good tyres in both wet and dry you do get a bit of tramlining but i expect it running wide wheels there not too much of an obscene stretch either

Another vote for the ZZ3s here too

never had issues with falkens.. wet or dry!

wouldnt touch toyos... spun the rado round a bend in the wet few years ago...

never had issues with falkens.. wet or dry!

wouldnt touch toyos... spun the rado round a bend in the wet few years ago...

Wierd.. my unstretched Toyo-PX4's on the Estorils, were awesome in the wet really showed up the Pirellis on the rear! :gag:

Amazing grip even when they hit standing water.. solid.. rears just floated which was slightly unsettling!

My slightly (205 on a 7.5) Yoko Prada's are good in dry but grip is quite random in the wet... don't feel comfortable over 80 in anything but dry conditions?

Have Conti-Sport's going on with the new wheels not heard anything bad with them! but they're a 195/45/16 on a 7 so not stretched again.