Sign in to follow this  
matt buz

what oil?

use the search function on the forum mate, there are quite a few threads on this in the "servicing" section

remember that the VR6 takes different oil though, as alot of the the threads are for the vr6 and not your 16v.

Thera

Seeing as though there probably aren't as many 16v oil threads, I think we can leave this one open ;)

I'll just move it to servicing though.

Castrol GTX 15w/40 I had in my last one.

Helped quieten my slightly noisy engine down a treat, and never had any problems with it.

thanks all

Just ordered my lupo wiper blades :p then got skinnned by a v6 4 motion golf coming out of the dealers :cry:

mixed emotions at the moment!

thanks all

:p then got skinnned by a v6 4 motion golf coming out of the dealers :cry:

mixed emotions at the moment!

204bhp with 199lb/ft torque + 4WD as standard.....they shift. That 24V engine sounds so much crisper and meatier than the 12V.

K

Would a VR6 beat a 4Motion?

Seeing as there is less power loss through the transmission (2WD vs 4WD) and less weight to lug around, as the 4Motion is bound to be equipped with air con and all the other toys? :)

Point is the 4 motion has 4 motion, and a VSR-type inlet manifold. So it's gonna be pushing 190 lbft from tickover through all 4 wheels..

Ok, it'll lose 20lbft to the 4x4 setup, but that still puts it even with the VR6, and since it develops it's torque over a wider band, and has more grip, the weight disadvantage won't kill it so much.

That said, it's gonna be very close. AFAIK the book puts the V6 4 motion golf slightly slower than the VR6, but off-the-line traction was always a VR6's weak point..

The R32 on the other hand...

Would a VR6 beat a 4Motion?

Seeing as there is less power loss through the transmission (2WD vs 4WD) and less weight to lug around, as the 4Motion is bound to be equipped with air con and all the other toys? :)

I kept up with one upto about 125-130, then a huge great lorry pulled onto the fast lane (dual carriage way), he lit up two wheels, I didn't, he ended up about 2 car lengths behind it, I was the same behind him. You could see him sh!tting himself when he eventually stopped (came down to about 40-50mph).

We both took a more leasurely drive the rest of the way to Oxford, both chain smoking too ;)

Thera

I've also kept up with one but neither really has much over the other to be honest.

There's also a couple of versions of the 24V engine, the very last of them also had variable valve timing and VW being VW, the power figure is very conservative. In America stock ones see 210 - 215ish and about 240 with some rudimentary tweaks.

Kev