Sign in to follow this  
iceviolet

Droning Noise? What Else Can It Be??

Hi,

Ever since owning my VR ive had this droning noise which sounds like its coming from the rear. Really sounded like a wheel bearing on its way out. Just noisy all the time and then get louder at around 40 mph but doesnt get any louder after that. I replaced the rear wheel bearings, discs and pads on both sides to start with, this made no difference at all. I also changed out the rear shock absorbers with new bump stops on both sides too. Still no difference. I then thought maybe its a front bearing transferring the noise to the rear. I have now changed both front wheel bearings, and replaced the two ball joints hoping this would cure the problem. No, still exactly the same.

Could this kind of noise be generated by the wheel alignment being out or tyre noise?? I decided to take a closer look at the tyres today and i have found that the rear tyres are worn on the inside edge more than the outside edge. Also the inside edge tread pattern is uneven, is this due to them being a directional tyre?? im no expert on tyres. They are avon zv1 by the

I think i definately need to get the wheels aligned, but can anyone think of any other possible causes of this droning noise?? Im thinking about doing the rear axle bushes next but dont know if this would cause it??

cheers

The only things that could be causing a drone like that on the back of the car would be wheel bearings or tyres.

If you're getting uneven tyre wear, then it's almost certainly the tyres making the noise so get a proper 4-wheel alignment done on a laser rig and that should sort it out. You may need new rear tyres to get it completely sorted as they may be beyond the point of saving, but worth a shot anyway.

It's always good to get your alignment done every year, if not more often to make sure the car's handling properly and the tyres are wearing evenly.

I'm not sure but it is possible that the rear stub axles could be way past it - a symptom of them being shot is that you'll eat through rear wheel bearings really quickly..? Stub axle might have taken the brunt of an unintentional brush with a kerb by yourself or a former owner or something..?

Aye, that's also possible - anything like that should show up when they do the 4-wheel alignment though.

ok, thanks for the quick replies! ill book it in somewhere for the wheels aligning (any reccomendations??), hopefully that should sort it! is there any way of telling if the stub axles are on their way out?? i seem to recall them looking fine when i did the bearings.

If you call a local reputable bodyshop, they can probably recommend a place that has the proper 4-wheel laser alignment rig.

And if the stub axle is slightly bent you might not notice it just looking at it, but the laser rig will show it up right away.

right thanks very much. There is a place just near me that advertises laser tracking. Is this the best one or are there other/better methods?? not very knowledgeable with tyres.

You want a 4-wheel (not just 2) laser alignment and make sure they check the front camber too. The machine should have all the settings they need stored in it.

I have had the tyre wear you describe, and the local 4 wheel lazer place never picked any thing up.

I've also noticed it on a wheel I've borrowed, has your car been stood for a long time at all?

Yeah Dinkus is a bit of an expert with bent rear ends :lol:

Aye, as mentioned already, the 4 wheel alignment is the best check. If it's a little out of alignment (sounds like it is) you can get special spacers from Stealth Racing to realign the stub axle.

are you sure the constant droning isn't the exhaust rubbing either on the heatshields or the rear beam?

Mine did drone a bit when the rear beam bushes where totally shot as well.

Right then, i will try get it booked in for the wheel alignment at a decent place and see what they come up with. Going to also do the rear axle bushes, ive got the bits waiting to go on, just a job ive not been looking forward to doing, looks a mare to get off with that brake compensator in the way, had a look and tried undoing the bolts and they are corroded to hell.

The car hasnt been stood really, was stood for a month back in march but used nearly every day since that.

Im pretty sure the exhaust isnt rubbing on anything, its all tight and heatshields are on secure.

what is a delaminating rear tyre??

special spacers? is this an option instead of replacing the stub axles?

thanks for the replies, very helpful

You probably won't be getting the brake bias valve off without breaking it, so I'd buy a new one before you start (about £70) getting the bushes out of the axle is also a cock of a job - as is pressing them in without the proper tool.

Tyres are made up of lots of layers of rubber on top of each other. If they start breaking apart, it's called delaminating and could well be causing weird noises. It doesn't usually happen for no reason - it's often the cause of having bad wheel alignment and/or kerbing them badly or getting a puncture.

If the stub axle is bent, then it'll need replacing as the bearings won't run true on it. However, if it is only ever so slightly bent and/or the rear axle is very slightly bent, you can use the spacers to make the wheels point straight again.

Hey, havn't had time to get the wheels aligned yet but i decided today to try and swap the back wheels to the front and front to back to see if the noise follwed the wheels. It did, there is no noise from the back now from what i can hear and it has definately just moved to the front. Im thinking that its just the tyres that are making the noise! so im going to get some new tyres and get it aligned at the same time. Any reccomendations for tyres for the front? i dont want to be breaking the bank either, just some decent ones. The wheels are the standard speedlines. Cheers

The Tyre Discussion Thread is a pretty long tome of a thing, but if you're after something relatively cheap, but still fairly good Toyo Proxes seem to be worth a punt. Don't take my word for it though - have a peruse through the later pages of that thread to see what tickles your turnip.

Cured!! New tyres have sorted the noise! Very quiet now, very pleased. I got two new fronts, opted fot some kumho ku31. Ive had these before on my other car and did recall how quiet they were and was surprised how they handled too, i think they are quite a good tyre,no complaints yet anyway. £50 each balanced and fitted so quite cheap aswell. I can drive the corrado without worrying that any moment the weels are going to drop off!!!!

Cured!! New tyres have sorted the noise! Very quiet now, very pleased. I got two new fronts, opted fot some kumho ku31. Ive had these before on my other car and did recall how quiet they were and was surprised how they handled too, i think they are quite a good tyre,no complaints yet anyway. £50 each balanced and fitted so quite cheap aswell. I can drive the corrado without worrying that any moment the weels are going to drop off!!!!

£50 each!? Bargain. What size tyre was the for and where from?

I use KU31s too and find them better than Toyos in the wet and equal in the dry. A world better than the federals originally on there and a galaxy better than Yoko A539s in the wet.

Camskill do them for £45ish each delivered, the last one I got was through a local tyre place for 55 fitted in a rush.

That was for 205/50/15 for the standard speedline alloys. Got them from a place just near me called tyremarket, its on the A62 leeds road, six lane ends, heckmondwike.

Ive got the same problem, I've just had replaced...

Wishbones

Track rod ends

Bottom Ball joints

All four wheel bearings

Front engine mount

Aux belt

Rear brake discs and pads

4 new toyo tyres (just done 1000 miles)

I think its coming from the back more then the front, on my last MOT, 2 months ago, i did get a recomendation that my rear beam bushes were on way out, could this be causing the droning?

If your still wanting your wheel alignment done mate theres a place in howden clough called G.A.V body shop think its about 75 quid he quoted me. A place in leeds did mine as a favour for my mate who painted my car i can get details if u want

Yeah Dinkus is a bit of an expert with bent rear ends :lol:

Aye, as mentioned already, the 4 wheel alignment is the best check. If it's a little out of alignment (sounds like it is) you can get special spacers from Stealth Racing to realign the stub axle.

I think the noise is coming back. It was so quiet when i had the new tyres and tracking done, and now its starting to get a bit rumbley again. Not a lot but definately getting more audible each week and i am starting to get a little bit more wear on the insides of the rear tyres. So i am guessing that i might be in need of these "special spacers". These special spacers, what exactly are they?washers? and how much are they from stealth does anyone know?

Cheers

Get a laser alignment check done. That will tell you for sure if the rea axle is bent. I still need to get mine done cos i also have wear on the inside of one tyre. From what i've read they space straightens the wheel back up..

i had the 4 wheel laser alignment done when i had new tyres on and it didnt pick up that the rear was out. The guy just said that front was a fair bit out.