Sign in to follow this  
Kempy

Coloured Dash Lights

definitely NO!

it is cheaper to buy 100 blue (for example) leds on ebay at 4&posted and doing it yourself. I did it with my speedo and used about 8 leds. then I fitted one led per interior switch and with the rest of the leds I made myself some interior neon lights :norty: :norty: :norty:

So its a cost thing? I can just change the original LED's no problem?

you can request some resistors from the led seller I hope

Have you done this then? was it easy to do?

I done this to my car, i put the DDI dials in with a red backlit LCD so wanted the rest of the switches etc to match so i bought a bunch of red LED's and sat there over a few nights on the kitchen table with a soldering iron carefully taking the switches apart unsoldering the green leds and soldering on the red ones. Worked out at a few quid really for the leds from local Maplins and was a doddle to do if you are fairly confident with a soldering iron.

As for resistors, iirc you dont need them you just need to use certain volt/amp (always get confused between those 2 :lol:) LED's think some are only 3 volt and some 9 or something like that.

Do a search on it as its been covered before and you will get all the information you need from it.

EDIT: Just remembered though that the heater controls doesnt use LED's is has a small bulb in the middle (heat) knob which shines through a green spider behind the controls (spider is basically a cradle of plastic legs that disperse over all 3 heater controls to spread the light out evenly). For this what i did is got parts from a passats heater controls which were a CLEAR spider/cradle and a red filter that fits on the inside of the heater controls plastic cover then i used a red bulb condom (cue giggles :lol:) on the small bulb to make it shine even more red. It works but its not great tbh as its pretty dim, the middle is ok but the light doesnt disperse great so the outer controls are a bit dim. Others however have made their own led inserts which look great but bit more tricky.

I will try this sometime. I did a little soldering in school, lol. Can I change the green coloured, including the LCD to blue?

I never did soldering before and it was pretty easy job. For dash's switches you do need resistors. However, for the door switches you don't need any resistors since there are already leds, so just replace.

I posted something about resistors and leds in switches, can't find it but it is out there 0X

The dash lights are easy......three bulbs along the top and one for each lcd....5 in total.....straight swap.....i bought them off of ebay and have since bought a couple of others from torsten from off here......sorry about poor pic quality but you get the idea.....it will take you longer to get the clocks out than to change the bulbs......also , you have to remove the green plastic strip at top of clock unit

That is what I'm looking for,

Any Idea what size/specs bulbs I need?

There is loads of stuff on it in the Canada corrado club and others, seams do able