Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

VR6 engine weight

If the head is split from the block how heavy is the block with crank, pistons, sump etc still in place? Note no gearbox etc as it will have been removed from the car.

Can it be lifted by a couple of average non body builders or will I need an engine crane?

me and 2 mates picked up my R32 with all ancillaries, and the gearbox attached.

that was heavy :gag:

Hire an engine crane - only about £20 for teh day and makes it easier to fit in exactly the right place.

yeah ~300lbs, so 140kg ish as Kevs says.

Deffo hire a crane though, it's not really worth the aggro of lifting it yourself and trying to align engine mounts is a major PITA without one as fla said.

skateboards are awesome for moving stuff like this. Regularly use one to move engines/gearboxes out from under the car and vice versa! :lol:

You should manage that with 2 or 3 people ok, we (2 of us) got my old engine (with head still attached) out the back of a berlingo and up about 10 stairs into my back garden.

skateboards are awesome for moving stuff like this. Regularly use one to move engines/gearboxes out from under the car and vice versa! :lol:

I used a skateboard to move a 7 man hot tub :shock: :lol:

Just a gentle warning about picking up extreme loads; your large intestine breaking through into your scrotum can be one of life's less enjoyable experiences.

Best wishes

RB

Just a gentle warning about picking up extreme loads; your large intestine breaking through into your scrotum can be one of life's less enjoyable experiences.

Best wishes

RB

been there done that(as a child) :lol: