Sign in to follow this  
CrazyG

Bramble VR6 - Rust Repair

Here are a few more... still needs a clean outside and a good wax but that will be done this afternoon if the rain holds off, as well as putting the 17s on! 8)

VR6Front.jpg

Not too many stone chips but the offside headlamp glass needs changing - TCS gave me a spare. Headlamp screws are rusted almost beyond recognition so I'll need to get hold of some new ones before I fit the uprated loom.

VR6Interior.jpg

Nice and clean in here but there are a couple of little niggles that need sorting. Still, only 81k on the clock :)

VR6Rear3Quarter.jpg

Nice ass!

TCS will make a right mark up on it, sound enough bloke but he knows what hes doing

I hate to say you guys told me so but TCS have put my old car on the site for £2,175. He's given it a right good polish too. Git!

I fitted the 17 inch SSW Mesh 2 wheels last Sunday but I've had to wait all week for it to stay dry enough to do a proper wash and take photos.

VR6Front3q.jpg

WheelDetail.jpg

Shiny! 8)

The wheels highlight how badly I need to paint the calipers and the edges of the hubs - they're quite shocking!

Paintwork looks pretty good from a distance but I keep finding patches of nasty rust :gag: Some of it is treatable but there are other areas that will probably need to go into a bodyshop. Lupo wipers are on but I'm struggling to get two rusty screws out of the offside headlight so I haven't managed to upgrade the loom yet. I've got a set of red/smoked FK rear lights but I'm not convinced I actually like them so the OEMs may be staying put :?

I've got some FK Sport Edition coilovers so they'll be going on once I can organise a mechanic to fit them. I'd do it myself but I'm fairly confident I'd cock it up! I don't want to go too low so that rubbing is minimised - I'm thinking 30mm drop on the front, 50mm on the back.

I've got a set of red/smoked FK rear lights but I'm not convinced I actually like them so the OEMs may be staying put :?

i have a set of fk crystals rears and think these look great on the bramble corrado so maby this is a route for you to travel on the rear light front

corradoaug08005.jpg

i have a set of fk crystals rears and think these look great on the bramble corrado

Yeah, they do look rather smart. I think it's more to do with the fact that the OEM bulb mounts don't clip in place properly on these so it's not a straightforward swap. I thought about using the standard mount and taping it to the back of the light casing but I'd prefer if it was more secure than that. The amber bulb doesn't seem to fit too well in the OEM bracket either. I don't know if I really want to cut the wires to put on the aftermarket jobbies... Is there any way around that?

have you invested in some heavy duty pants, you'll need them now you will be hearing the V6 all the time, I'm well jealous :sad:

i used the original bulb holders and yes i did gaffer tape them on :eek: but it works

and i dont think they will fall out

ps your corrado is a nice colour and looks sweet on your alloys (what are they) paint looks good too :D

kel

your corrado is a nice colour and looks sweet on your alloys (what are they)

Cheers mate.

They're SSW (Stamford Sport Wheels) Mesh II alloys. Slightly kerbed one of them this morning because some knob in a truck didn't give me enough room to get out of my road :roll: . The scuff is barely noticeable but I'm still not happy.

I might try that gaffer tape fix at some point but I'm quite attached to the OEM lights at the mo.

very nice mate, im gonna have to use the gaffa tape trick on my lights that i got at the weekend, i didnt fancy butchering the stock wiring to put the stupid bulb holders in. weird thing is they make the centre section of lights with the right places to clip the original holders into! gayness all it needs is some piece cutting out and they should clip straight in. but knowing my luck ill ball sit right up. lol

looking very good on those wheels tho mate! loving it! :D

very nice mate, im gonna have to use the gaffa tape trick on my lights that i got at the weekend, i didnt fancy butchering the stock wiring to put the stupid bulb holders in. weird thing is they make the centre section of lights with the right places to clip the original holders into! gayness all it needs is some piece cutting out and they should clip straight in. but knowing my luck ill ball sit right up. lol

looking very good on those wheels tho mate! loving it! :D

They do this so you can't put the standard bulbs in the lights as you need orange coloured bulbs. Its part of the TUV approval so you don't end up with white indicators. The orange coloured bulbs should have an offset retaining pin so need different holders (I know you can get them with normal retaining pins).

To wire up your lights connect small spades to the bulb holders that came with the lights and insert the spades into the original connector. Easy peasy and no gaffer tape or bodged wiring.

Got the FK Sport Edition Coilies on now. Here are the results...

VR6DropFrontSide.jpg

VR6DropRearSide.jpg

I'm not totally sure how much it's lowered by but I'm thinking it's a tad too low. Yeah, it looks cool but I have to use it virtually every day so I'll have to see how I get on with it. There's been a little rubbing on the top of the front arches but I think that's because I was slightly over zealous with one speed bump :eek:

There's also a knocking sound coming from the rear that Rich reliably informs me is the bump stops but I don't like the noise and it makes me feel a little paranoid. Will this settle down as the shocks bed in - is it normal??

Anyway, off to apply a coat of Collinite wax :ubergeek:

I'm not usually a big fan of blackberrys but that looks very nice now lowered with 17's......good job fella. :D

always amazes me how a wheel change can completely change my view on a car sometimes.

Looks nice, i say keep the OEM rear lamps, those FK ones are gash in my opinion, and they leak!!

are you sure the "knocking" from the rear is not your exhaust hitting your over axle pipe? mine knocked as soon as i lowered it last week, its now sorted with mk1 golf reinforced (chains inside) rubber hangers i got years ago from C&R, i used 2 just in case, belt and braces :D

analysis of phrase: tad too low

Searchng internal database

Searching language library

Search complete

Phrase:tad too low not found in database - invalid entry

he he!

mate, you can just adjust the dampers to firm up the amount of travel the dampers have when you go over a bump... no need to raise it!

as for the knocking noise, is it coming from both sides, is it constant or only when you go over a bump? take me out in it again on tuesday and we'll have a look!

Looks nice, i say keep the OEM rear lamps

are you sure the "knocking" from the rear is not your exhaust hitting your over axle pipe?

I think you might be right on both counts!