Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Bit weird, Wheel wobble + vid

just been outside shaking my wheels (as you do)

and i noticed the front nearside wheel wobbles back and forth alot more than the others, and its rather noisy. also when i look at brake caliper and wheel there seems to be movement between the two, i.e: not moving together i think??

tried to video me shaking it, not sure how good quality this will be, only viewed it on phone..

th_MOV01058.jpg

Yikes!

I would be looking at ball joints and wishbone rubbers for that bad boy. Get it up on the jack and wiggle it about while it's up in the air and see if you can see where the movement is compared to the other side.

Nick

If the wheel is moving relative to the brake caliper, your wheel bearing or the lower part of the hub itself has disintegrated. I'd get it towed to wherever it's going to be fixed asap. I'd even be wanting to get the weight off the wheel before it falls off!

Does the wheel show any movement when you move the steering wheel?

i've been driving it for a while and always moaned about handling etc, this could be the cause.

in the past year its had wheel bearing, wishbones with rubber, track rods + ends

very concerned now :(

the garage i use is only 200m down the road, should i get them to look you think, so its deffo not normal?

LOL "not normal"??? No shit sherlock!

That sounds like something is loose, plain and simple. It might not even be broken, it's just loose.

Mine was similar with worn wishbone bushes. (although obviously the brakes moved with the wheel).

Check those bolts ASAP!

Were they genuine wishbone bushes or cheapo? I've heard of cheapo ones failing in a short period of time.

Knackered wishbone bush, had exactly the same symptoms on my mates car about a month ago, its the big round bush at the rear of the wishbone. 99.9999% sure from that video. I bet the rubber has departed.

yep, been to garage and its the wishbone bush, the bolt is tight and not moving but the rear of wishbone wobbles around.

its weird as they were new from VW a year ago this month, £75 each side, the garage are going to replace it on friday.

not sure why it could of failed, but car has been terrible to drive for a while and gotten worse.

thanks for all the speedy replies :)

am hoping this will solve my "dodgy handling" i alway moan about :lol:

turns in too easy sometimes and then you sometimes have to fight the wheel back the other way

yep, been to garage and its the wishbone bush, the bolt is tight and not moving but the rear of wishbone wobbles around.

its weird as they were new from VW a year ago this month, £75 each side, the garage are going to replace it on friday.

not sure why it could of failed, but car has been terrible to drive for a while and gotten worse.

thanks for all the speedy replies :)

Quick take em back, should get your money back!

A year for genuine ones :shock: I'd expect them to last a LOT longer than that!

Maybe look into getting the TT bushes instead?

me and a friend, the friend did most of it tho, i made tea and passed stuff to him.

maybe we are to blame but we still can't find a reason for it. could the wrong torque setting on the bolt cause it?

at first the garage thought a metal sleeve was missing, then when they ordered part they got told the corrado doesn't have one.

at first the garage thought a metal sleeve was missing, then when they ordered part they got told the corrado doesn't have one.

AFAIK VR6s dont use a sleeve (Mine didn't need one anyway). i think MK2 golfs do and possibly early corrados.

thats what they reckoned, they both had mk2 golfs and knew of this sleeve from them but apparantely mine does have that.

i went into VW toask about the part and they said it would be under warrenty but not sure VW would accept it as car has been lowered, so they could use that to get out of it if they wanted to.

getting a whole new wishbone fitted tomorrow so once the old one is off i may be able to find out whats wrong

Hmmm - I thought they did use the sleeve for the standard rear bush but you needed to swap it when changing wishbones...

I would get the TT bushes as these have a 12mm hole so no sleeve needed.

for some reason they told me they would have to replace the whole thing?

so a new VW wishbone is being fitted today, i am confused about this sleeve thing, that seems to make the most sense to me

for some reason they told me they would have to replace the whole thing?

Normal at most places to replace the wishbone whole, the labour cost of pressing bushes out (plus the likelehood this will go wrong on old bushes) clean it wup and press in the new bush is often more than the cost of a wishbone complete with fitted bushes.

so a new VW wishbone is being fitted today, i am confused about this sleeve thing, that seems to make the most sense to me

Corrado VR6's (and the Mk3 golf GTIs/VR6 that use the same wishbones) DON'T use a sleeve in the front bushes. All Mk2 Golfs (and probably 4 stud corrados) DO use a sleeve in the bush.

I checkled various parts diagrams when I did mine - theres no room for a sleeve anyway - the bolt is a good fit ion the metal centre of the bush.

Hope that clears it up.

lovely that stops me worrying :)

i guess it may of just been a faulty part, when i replaced the wishbones the old ones still seemed fine after 140,000miles

i guess it may of just been a faulty part, when i replaced the wishbones the old ones still seemed fine after 140,000miles

Yeah must be, pity you told them the car was lowered.

i'm still going to try my luck.

even though it is lowered, i don't see that causing any harm.

will be interested to see how VW react

got it fixed, new wishbones fitted. But now the car feels how i remember from before it was a bit shaky and loose.

i hate it :( something feels wrong to me still, feck knows what it can be, maybe thats just how they drive.

if i cruise along at say 50-60mph and then start to shake wheel left and right a little bit not much happens, so if i increase the shake :lol: it feels really dodgy like the car is doing its own thing to the wheels

maybe its the cheap weitec suspension?? car seems to roll and pitch alot and then pull to the side

i'm going to do my brakes conversion, finish refurbing the wheels, then its probably going to have to go to stealth racing, the garage i use don't think anything is wrong

Have the garage actually set up the camber and tracking?

does it feel like the car is on tip toes all the time, sort of twitchy?

WHat size wheels and tyres are you running? DO they have a silly ofset?

In the past I've had MKII Golfs that have handled like this due to straying too far from the original specification wheels. Tramlining, torque steer and very twitchy under braking. Switching back to wheels closer to the original spec cleared it all up.

Nick