Jim Bowen

Mk4 Golf Rear Calipers Upgrade. Re: Parts

Is 1H0 609 721E the right hand brake cable to go for? I remember when I was putting my MK4 calipers on a few years ago thinking that my existing cables didn't mate to the new calipers very well. It seems like the calipers expect a ball end but the existing cable had a small cylindrical end.

Incidentally I think the part numbers quoted in this thread may be wrong. It's 721E as far as I can tell, not 712E.

---------- Post added at 8:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:16 PM ----------

Looking at these pages I can't help thinking 721A is probably a better fit:

http://www.autocarspare.com/catalog/brake-cable/1h0609721a.html

http://www.autocarspare.com/catalog/brake-cable/1h0609721e.html

Especially when you compare it to what MK4 Golfs seem to use:

http://www.autocarspare.com/catalog/brake-cable/1j0609721ac.html

It's possible I'm over thinking this ;).

That's interesting!

I've had ball ended cables, since before I swapped to mk4 calipers, I just thought they weren't available anymore.

I can't find any that fit for the mk4 calipers as all replacements I can find have bar ends.

On my late vr the brake cables are 20mm different in length when compared to the early vr, shorter I think?

I'll give 1H0 609 721 A a try, thanks!

Edited by science

Interesting stuff.... I'm just about to do the mk4 rear conversion...... do the orig vr handbrake cables work with the mk4 calliper's or are they the wrong length then ????

I assume the cylindrical cable end fits into the calliper handbrake lever but ideally needs a ball end.

Yeah the cylindrical ones work, I just reckon the ball end ones will work better. Since I need new cables, I might as well go for the best option...

Guys, can anyone clarify what other parts are needed to run this conversion with 286mm discs rather than the std 226mm discs? Is it possible? The 286mm discs are listed as std size for a Golf IV 2.0 TD GT.

Cheers.

Guys, can anyone clarify what other parts are needed to run this conversion with 286mm discs rather than the std 226mm discs? Is it possible? The 286mm discs are listed as std size for a Golf IV 2.0 TD GT.

Cheers.

If it was possible,we all would of done it !

So that's a no

If it was possible,we all would of done it !

So that's a no

Cheers. Looks like Eurospec Sport offer a kit for upgrading 226mm to 280mm 4x100 using the std calipers (so would assume MkIV calipers could work also). Kit is appx. £275 before and taxes and shipping and includes discs, bearings, hubs, carriers etc. Might give that a shot and see how it goes.

That's what I've got

Don't use their bearings,

Thanks. Take it OEM bearings fit fine? Any comments on the quality of the discs? I intend to use them for track work.

What calipers are you using? Ta.

Quality is spot on,oem bearings are a straight fit,and last a lot longer then the ones supplied.Mine are Mk4 callipers,but I had to "shave" the fins to get them under 15" wheels.

You will notice a lot better rear braking with them fitted.

If you wanted more rear braking,16vG60(John at JMR) on here does a rear 280 vented conversion,not DIY, I think it's a minimum 16" wheel

Can any one point me in the right direction..... going to convert to Mk4 rear Calipers on the VR and looking for a set either new or reconditioned.

I spotted these on ebay.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360583586859?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

They suggest they fit and the part number is correct apart from the end letter being "A" on the part number does this matter as I've read I need part numbers IJ0615423 D or G / 1J0615424 D or F or H (prefix different), what draw my attention to these as they look like the handbrake lever gap is smaller where the cable slots in.

Or would you buy a set of TRW calipers from VWspares. which have the correct prefix after the part number...

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1588

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1589

thanks for any advice.

I assume all these options will fit the rear of my corrado, don't want to spend money on the wrong calipers....

Edited by delfinis38

Having replaced my hand brake cables today, I can confirm that 1H0 609 721A is the right one to go for. Unfortunately it's obsolete from the dealer but ECP number 108440798 is an apparently equivalent pattern part. It has some plastic bits where the genuine one would have had metal, but at least it won't rust!

Having replaced my hand brake cables today, I can confirm that 1H0 609 721A is the right one to go for. Unfortunately it's obsolete from the dealer but ECP number 108440798 is an apparently equivalent pattern part. It has some plastic bits where the genuine one would have had metal, but at least it won't rust!

Does it have the round ball or cylindrical bar end?

It has a ball end.

Great! Thanks, I've been looking for these for ages.

Was trying to follow along th thread

Can someone please recap what all parts that are needed, part numbers would be helpful to convert the 95 Corrado rear brakes to the Mk4.

Do the rotors need to be changed?

I want to put on slotted and drilled rotors.

Thanks

Was trying to follow along th thread

Can someone please recap what all parts that are needed, part numbers would be helpful to convert the 95 Corrado rear brakes to the Mk4.

Do the rotors need to be changed?

I want to put on slotted and drilled rotors.

Thanks

Rotors,carriers stay Corrado ! You only change calipers and hoses

Thanks Dragon Green for the reply

Which hoses get used MK4?

Which year MK4 Calipers should I search out? Do Differents years offer different versions or are they all the same?

Has anyone looked at Passat b5 hoses, I'm sure I broke a Passat a few years back and remember the hoses being the same as the mk4 to corrado goodridge hoses.

Would be a cheaper option if not converting the rest of the hoses to braided

How do I get the handbrake cable out of the metal part so I can re-attach to the ones on my mk 4 rears

IMG_20130623_130431_zpscb239702.jpg

OK will give it a try. Didn't want to mess anything up as car is in bits.

---------- Post added at 3:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:19 PM ----------

Def a not moving