Sign in to follow this  
mic_VR

What would make the better track weapon?

More e4xpensive to buy though......Can't really get a solid non rusty Mk1 for less than £2K can you????

Yes, ours cost £800 to buy with the engine, seats, cage and brake bias already in place. It is a bit scabby but very solid (bar one small hole in the rear footwell that can easily be fixed if we are ever arsed). Most of the worn stuff would have been replaced anyway and all in all it stands us about £1400. If you split the cost with a mate it is far more economical to do, especially if you go to open pitlane days.

You can still pick up small engine Mk1's for £400 - £500, then it is just building up from there.

205 Gti.

Must admit I did think about that, and I've had one before so know what they're like to work on. Very light, and the 1.9 I had was impressively quick. But completely unforgiving! If I had a pound for everytime that thing went straight on when it was meant to go round a corner..... :pale:

Definitely interested in Andy's idea about the Jetta though, always heard they handle better due to the weight over the rear axle........ and I'd certainly be interested to hear a price on the Seat shell, but would it need to be trailered to the track?

mk1 golfs are also definitely an option, thinking about it I've seen quite a few well built mk1's that run rings around most things.

So many options! :lol:

Steve's Idea about the Jetta :lol: :confused4: :wink:

Will ask about the seat Shell for you :)

Mic, you have PM... Give him a call as I don't know if it's still there... but I may be going back to the folks on Saturday so can meet you up there if you want a poke about?

205 Gti.

Must admit I did think about that, and I've had one before so know what they're like to work on. Very light, and the 1.9 I had was impressively quick. But completely unforgiving! If I had a pound for everytime that thing went straight on when it was meant to go round a corner..... :pale:

Definitely interested in Andy's idea about the Jetta though, always heard they handle better due to the weight over the rear axle........ and I'd certainly be interested to hear a price on the Seat shell, but would it need to be trailered to the track?

mk1 golfs are also definitely an option, thinking about it I've seen quite a few well built mk1's that run rings around most things.

So many options! :lol:

That's the thing about a mk2 golf, very forgiving handling, much more so than a mk1 and the mk2 is so much better engineered body and running gear wise.

Mk2 Jetta is heavier than the equivalent golf 4 door, and that's another problem, 4 doors, which makes them even heavier than a 3dr golf.