Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

lamba prob dead, causing stalling and rubbish idling...?

I am not an expert but,

I think that is a vacuum pipe that helps control the emmissions with the carbon canister. If it has a leak it could be a factor that is causing your problem.

ian

It's connected to the carbon canister as mentioned above and will affect the running of your car.

well i took my whole inlet piping off to clean it, cleaned the MAF, throttle body with carb cleaner and cleaned the ISV in petrol, just went to start the car up and BANG! This blew up!

P111008_1805.jpg

P111008_180001.jpg

P111008_1800.jpg

There was a very strong strong smell of burning, like a match just been lit after the bang.

Ive put the little cup thing back on the unit i can see and the suction from the ISV is keeping it on and the car is running fine.

What could of caused this?

Im thinking maybe the carb cleaner in the inlet pipe, the petrol in the ISV?

ah ye, the vapours, i did connect it all up and leave it to dry for few hours. that could be it! opps!

whats that part called as i need a new one now!

i did connect it all up and leave it to dry for few hours. that could be it!

That's exactly the point Neil, If you connect it all up, it WON'T dry. They need airflow to dry.

Basic Chemistry: solvents evaporate. If they're in a closed system, they will remain in that system.

Like your engine.

And then go boom boom.

You could just connect the bits of pipe together for the time being. VW is your best bet for a new one, but I don't think they are supposed to make a huge difference.

I don't think it's uncommon for these to pop.

Hi Neil, If you're stuck for it there's one on mine you can have as the Rado's off the road for the timebeing and this time I am going to get the OBD2 kit fitted.

Only problem is that I'm not getting home from Saudi until Tuesday afternoon and my kid's in the children's hospital for an operation on Wednesday so I'm a bit tied up for a few days. Let me know if you can't get hold of one and I can try to help you out mate.

You could just connect the bits of pipe together for the time being. VW is your best bet for a new one, but I don't think they are supposed to make a huge difference.

I don't think it's uncommon for these to pop.

ah right, so if i just by-pass this unit it wont actually harm the engine at all?

Ive got one of the pipes on my old manifold. Just checked it and its similar to yours but doesnt have a hole in it. If your struggling for one let me know. Can you not just use good old duct tape as a temp repair?

Ive got one of the pipes on my old manifold. Just checked it and its similar to yours but doesnt have a hole in it. If your struggling for one let me know. Can you not just use good old duct tape as a temp repair?

cheers mate! i think ill go to my local motor factors and see if they have some piping i can use. For now ive covered it in leccy tape, dont have any duct tape :(

i just want my car running propperly :(

Mine went pop a few years ago

hey are about 20 quid from stealers.

Not sure why mine did it, but I also changed the pipe that you had a hole in.

Just why is the corrado so complicated ???

Dic

well ive managed to get a peice of that piping and bypass the exploded box. and i need to get some new piping for that other pipe with a hole in 2morow.

then will see if it runs any better.

Sorry, I meant £15 for the exploded damper unit - don't know about the pipe. My 94 VR seems to make them explode once in a blue moon when starting - I was thinking possible petrol vapour or ignition escaping from worn valve guides and seals as my head is in major need of a rebuild.

corrados arent complicated there really basic by todays standards.

Maybe I'm too used to land rover mechanics. Paddys screwdriver and an oily rag fixes most things.....

Those ISV damper pots usually blow apart as a result of a back fire through the intake....

They're a bit a nuiscance imo and not strictly necessary. The foam gauze inside them often bunches up into one of the ports and partially blocks the flow. It's purpose is nothing more exciting than to quieten the noise of air bleeding through the ISV at idle.

Bin it and reroute pipes accordingly as Toad mentioned.