Sign in to follow this  
bimonslick

A bit smoky!

Oh? Since when did a compression/bore check not show up a fecked head gasket or piston ring/bore? :cuckoo:

Oh? Since when did a compression/bore check not show up a fecked head gasket or piston ring/bore? :cuckoo:

piston /bore/valve wear then yes...headgasket no? if the head gasket was that bad to be noticed on the commpression check then it would hardly run.

White! Checked this morning when got to work and didnt seem to be much smoke! Strange! Apparently the car hasnt been used much in the last 10 months or so due to the person i got it off having to get a family car as they have a new born etc.

Also had a flat tyre this weekend as it didnt seem to be sealed very well, so buggerd up the tyre and the garage tell me the wheel is buckeled and really could do with a new set of rims etc.

White smoke isn't smoke it's steam. It'll happen all the time the engine is still cold on these cool damp mornings, but if it's still happening when the car is fully warmed through (I mean five miles later) then chances are your head gasket is on the way out.. :(

As for the alloys .. they ought to be able to scrub down the inner rims when they re-fit the tyre. It should be possible to make it seal, but it's not uncommon on these old cars. They might well be due a refurb.

s for the alloys .. they ought to be able to scrub down the inner rims when they re-fit the tyre. It should be possible to make it seal, but it's not uncommon on these old cars. They might well be due a refurb.

heh a rim issue (oor eerr) over the weekend myself. Car is off the road and over the 6 weeks its been off so far the front tyre went flat. Went to pump it up tomorrow with a cheap electric pump and air was escaping from the edge of the rim as fast as it was going in :lol: Had to get another elec pump that pumped air in faster then it was escaping - all was well once it had been inflated a bit to seal the rim.

I hope to take it out for a decent run in the next day or so as probably not had a decent run recently. Is it a pain to change the head gasket on the 16v engines. My other option was to try and get another engine and rebuild it and pop it in.

Si

If car has been stood for an extended period, it could have more water in the exhaust than is normal, and therefore take longer to get rid of it.

Have you noticed the coolant level going down? If it isn't it can't be loosing water through the head gasket.

Let the car warm up a bit more today and lots of smoke this morning (but it was very cold) and when i got to work it seemed ok. Will check the coolant levels at lunch time or when i get home later.

Si

Let the car warm up a bit more today and lots of smoke this morning (but it was very cold) and when i got to work it seemed ok. Will check the coolant levels at lunch time or when i get home later.

Si

As Dr_mat said its steam not smoke and thats normal. How far is it to work for you? Take it for a LONG run sometime and see if it goes.