Sign in to follow this  
Dalek995

Bog Standard Oil Top-Up Question

Just wondering if anyone can recomend the best type of oil to use on a VR6 C i.e. the best ratio without spending mega bucks and the best brand to use etc etc.

Oil needs topping up - may even do a complete change this weekend so thought best to ask this now before jumping in with my size twelves!

Cheers

I was using Castrol GTX Magnatec 10W40, but after the last service I switched to Synta Silver 10W40.

I think the VR6 engine prefers the Synta because it doesn't seem to use as much and when it came out from the service it ran smoother than it ever has done.

Cheers

Ady

I was using Castrol GTX Magnatec 10W40, but after the last service I switched to Synta Silver 10W40.

I think the VR6 engine prefers the Synta because it doesn't seem to use as much and when it came out from the service it ran smoother than it ever has done.

Cheers

Ady

Just so you know, Porsche stopped using, and pulled it's recommendation of, Magnatec oils after finding out that it has a nasty habit of causing low oil pressure... :shock: I don't know why, but it does according to Porsche... :? If Porsche won't touch it, it ain't going ANYWHERE near my G60! :? :roll: :lol:

you dont need to use VW stuff, its over priced... any 15w40 will be fine and throw a tin of wynns oil addative in for good measure

Quantum silver works out at £2.40 per litre, which compared to £10 a litre for Mobil 1, it's dirt cheap.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that VW do not endorse the use of oil additives in their engines, might even say that in the manual, in fact.

K

:scratch: so i can use 10w40 SEMI synthetic in the VR6??

i thought one of the previous threads on VR6 oil said to use 15w40?? :scratch:

just wanna be clear on this before i fill mine up with the wrong stuff!

I've seen alot of posts about dealers and 'only use the synta stuff etc'. Not necessarily the case here but be aware that dealers keep bottles of synta on the shelves and unless otherwise stated they will use the Castrol GTX that is in the 'Big drum in the workshop' for general services etc. My recent VW service stated that GTX had been used, but I was never asked what I wanted.

I guess my message is "Don't assume anything".

My motor runs great - whatever they stuck in it!

As long as it has good, clean oil it'll be happy. Goes for any engine I've ever owned.

just for the record,my vw service recipts show that they used shell helix when servicing mine thats why ive started using it myself

I used to use Helix in my 16V turbo....it was a bit thin for that particular engine but might try some in the VR if it's not using any :lol:

What viscosity is it....can't remember....I think it was something like 5/30W?

K

Ah, I'm sure the stuff I used was mega thin and full synth. I think it was the Silver coloured container? Normal helix is the yellow container isn't it?

theres 3 different types i think..shell helix(yellow container)shell helix plus(blue)and shell helix ultra(grey container)