Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

4Motion bought - update 8th April (P7)

Jon_VR6 - definitely to an enthusiast - he has a mint Mk2 at home, the Corrado will be used as a second car - good that it will get more use. The bloke sounded almost apologetic about buying it - really sorry to see it go but I do not have the ability, time or money to take it to the next level.

Phoned Sarah to tell her and she burst into tears - until I told her I was giving her 1k to spend on the 4Mo :D

Good stuff as soon as family started im sure your prioritys changed which is the right way in my opinion! Family first! Sorry to see you leave the corrado fold but im sure you will continue to pass on your knowledge to us all!

Danny B - bought them now, start of the transformation - always thought that these were a lovely rim and quite happy with the price considering how expensive they were as an option on the standard GTi's

Check ED38, theres a guy selling an exhaust for one of these.

Where in Aberdeen you picking it up and what time, I could maybe give you a lift from the airport (assuming your flying)?

Coullstar - don't know whereabouts in Aberdeen, the guy is picking me up from the airport - thanks for the offer though

nice car andy ive be looking at these for a long time along with the passat w8 you get so much for your money and there not to slow either, i had ago in my mates and it pulled really well nice and smooth and to say its a heavy car with only 204hp i was very impressed. This is what you want for for andy i was really tempted i recon i could do this under 12k that was the plan i would have the stage two+ 410HP looks amazing value and good quality and there is now a uk importer.

https://www.c2motorsports.net/shop/c-15 ... jetta.aspx

Andy you bought the wheels before the car.....love it :D.......I bet you cannot wait to get your hands on it !!!

I've always wondered what the 4motion is like to drive.....will be interested to see your reportage.

Saturday was a day and a half.

Up at 4am to get to Birmingham airport, drove back to Telford from Aberdeen, had a cuppa then caught the train back to Birmingham airport to pick the Passat up, eventually getting home at 9.30pm.

Very impressed with the Golf, the cream leather really helps with the ambience, much lighter and airier than the usual black.

Drive wise its definitely a case of potential lurking within. Engine and gearbox are lovely, smooth and refined but surprising willingness to flick round to the redline.

Suspension wise its pretty much par the MK4 course - inherently safe but too willing to wash out at the front end and generally poor body control.

As its a daily driver I want to keep the comfort whilst trying to bring out some of the fun that I'm sure is there to be had.

Stage 1 is taking place this Friday - Milltek non-resonated cat back system, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers (bloody expensive but seem to be the top of the tree in terms of quality and performance), adjustable rear tie rods to sort out the camber issues caused by the likely suspension drop, new top mounts, full check over of all suspension bushes (to be replaced if more than 50% worn) and the 18" wheels put on, topped off with a ful four wheel alignment set-up. Cost is frightening but definitely being offset by the low purchase price of the car.

Stage 2 might not be needed, been assured that an upgrade to R32 front and rear antiroll bars is probably not necessary with the PSS9's - been advised to try the car with standard ARB's and assess

I would try a car with PSS9s on first as they are very firm.

Agreed, my brother had them on his Bora and they are very firm for everyday use. Handled great though!

Must admit I've been thinking about getting a 4motion, but not sure I could sell the C. But hopefully it'll do you well for what you need at the moment mate.

Tried a 4Mo on PSS9's yesterday, found the ride better than the old Bora on FK Konigsports - that was the only thing I needed to be sure of, the Bora on the FK's was just too harsh - still finding the cost of the Bilstein PSS9's a little hard to stomach but they seem so well regarded that it might be false economy to go for anything else.

Been let down on the BBS RC's as well so decided to go for something a little different - my wife hates them but she haed all the wheels I put on the C initially and grew to like them all - hope I can do the same with these

If you're into PSS9 money, personally I'd spend a little more and get an AST kit.

I had leaking and seizing problems with my old H&Rs (PSS dampers / H&R springs) so I hope that doesn't happen to you.

The KW Variant 3 is also worth a look.

I don't dislike the PSS9, but for me the high speed bump rate is too much and the springs are too hard for daily use.

Been let down on the BBS RC's as well so decided to go for something a little different

18" BBS CH's look the dogs danglies on MK4 Golfs..? :)

Kev - wish I could spend more but PSS9's are already at the top end of my budget. Variant 3's did cross my mind but finding it difficult to get feedback on 4Mo's owners experience of them - quite surprised at how many people seem to think the best route forward is to spend as little as possible, I don't have bottomless pockets but don't want to scrimp on the suspension.

Jim - afraid I have played to form and gone for a Marmite wheel - not even sure that I like them but hoping they will be "growers" - the wheels I have liked immediately in the past have never lasted long as I've got bored of them

Be careful with the wheels weight and sizes. I had about half a dozen sets on mine including OZ lightweight 18in and the best overall was a set of 17in Skoda Octavia VRs wheels.

By the way your reg doesnt end DEP does it as I passed a Blue 4motion near the airport on Sat morning.

Bugger, I was just about to call the guy about this, seen it advertised before but had to go to work out the country for over 5 weeks.....didn't expect it to sit as long as it did.

What did he let it go for in the end, was asking about 3.5k when I first seen it about 40 days ago

Kev - wish I could spend more but PSS9's are already at the top end of my budget. Variant 3's did cross my mind but finding it difficult to get feedback on 4Mo's owners experience of them - quite surprised at how many people seem to think the best route forward is to spend as little as possible, I don't have bottomless pockets but don't want to scrimp on the suspension.

Sure thing, I understand. Have a look at the H&R Clubsport aswell as it's basically the PSS9 with H&R's name on it. Might be a little cheaper. The MK4's structural platform is tougher than the Corrado's, so you'll probably get less chassis flex enabling the PSS9s to work better than they would on the C. Check out the spring rates if you can. The Corrado PSS9 kit has mighty springs - 800in-lb front, 475in-lb (IIRC) rear. Regular PSS was 400 front, 275 rear, so the PSS9 is much, much stiffer. More track focused.

I paid £2800 and got him to stick 6 months tax on it as well

Sounds a cracking deal then as I recall the miles were only about 73k or so.

He either dropped his price or you drove a hard bargain

I drove a hard bargain :D , not like me at all but its definitely a buyers market at the moment.

Frightening that I have shelled out just over 2/3 of the purchase price again today on exhaust, suspension and wheels / tyres, various tatty trim bits, mats etc etc :D