Sign in to follow this  
antinkariba

16v KR Oil Temp

My car, 89 1.8 16v corrado just came back from the garage. Had a new water pump fitted and a little service, oil etc etc. On the way home the oil liht started beeping and flashing, then went off. Was fine for a while and then came on and then went off again.

Looking at the MFA the temp was about 110deg?

Is 110 deg too high?

Why would the light come on and then go off?

The water temp seems fine but I am not to keen on driving until I get to the bottom of this.

Any ideas?

my mates mk2 golf runs at 110 all the time, and he says its fine!! lol

but i thought that was too high - 100 max??

maybe let the guys in the know have a say ;)

rob.

110 isn't really high for oil, it won't start to disintegrate until way beyond that.

what was your coolant temp at the time? perhaps you had an air pocket in the oil system although it should disappear very quickly as the oil pump works every second the engine is running.

Thanks,

I did check the oil and its fine. Nice and clean too.

I went for a little drive and the engine oil was at about 102 for ages and then suggenly the water temp went up little and the oil temp went to 110. The buzzer came on twoce but only for a second or two....

I dont want to drive it now until I get to the bottom of it really. Any other ideas?

Check the senders for the oil pressure found on the oil filter housing, and the associated wiring. They may have been disturbed while fitting the water pump. When does it go off? On full throttle, part throttle, going round corners, on overrun? you do have the orange plastic guide on the dipstick don't you?

Check the senders for the oil pressure found on the oil filter housing, and the associated wiring. They may have been disturbed while fitting the water pump. When does it go off? On full throttle, part throttle, going round corners, on overrun? you do have the orange plastic guide on the dipstick don't you?

It seems to come on when I am going up a slight hill then after a few seconds it stops.

I do have the orange dip stick, not looked at it for a guide but will go and have a look now!