Sign in to follow this  
tobe_k

VR6 Issues / ideas?

Hey I just bought a vr last week. Absolutley loving the car, but i have some concerns...

Firstly, its a 2.8 from the golf dropped into a 1.8 16v. so its not the 190 bhp engine most rados run. Which is why im concerned im only getting 280 miles on a tank, and thats not using a lead foot all the time. Costs around £45 to fill up the tank. I figure this is around 18MPG.

The car also seems to have a problem once its warm with hesitation and almost missing around 3000 RPM, sitting at 80 it judders like its not sparking but when you put your foot down she pulls like a train....

I had the problem the other week that it wouldnt start, as in nothing at all from the starter, so i cleaned the ring terminals on the startr and it seemed to cure the problem. But there is a chance it could have been the ignition switch, would this cause a similar problem as described.

I thought it could be a dirty crank angle sensor? any other ideas, worth stripping and cleaning any bits? Thought it could be a temp sender playing up, the blue sender is for the ECU right? I have a problem that my temp gauge doesnt work either. Thought it was the yellow sender, but changed it and its still the same.... wired in a fan switch to try and stop overheating as the fans arent coming on as normal...

Any ideas guys? I want to improove my MPG and sort out this stuttering problem? Thinking cleaning the injectors in an ultra sonic bath could be a good move...

Cheers in advance, Tobe

If the ECU hookup works, you should get the error codes read, that's the quickest way to get an answer. Also check the obvious - got new spark plugs recently?

£45 is a small tank of fuel.. And fwiw I make that ~25 mpg, which isn't so bad.

Thinking about it you are right, i just went on the fuel gauge, which says 15 gallons at max, but its not, its more like 10-11. 48 litres (ish) so i suppose thats around 25-26 MPG like you say....

Im not sure when it had a service, but i think i should get new plugs/leads etc

How much do VAG charge to get the error codes read?

Thanks for your help.

Mine does 400 miles from £70 if it gets reasonable runs, otherwise general local runs it's down to 300 miles to the tank.

Thanks chaps, thats a bit better than i thought with fuel economy then, but still doesnt help with the stuttering problem...

Time to make sure all the senders are clean i feel....