Sign in to follow this  
raypau

Optimum fuel

Anybody running their VR on Shell Optimax? Have been told that there is a difference in performance not just cost!!

Also can anyone recommend what brand of engine oil to use to keep the motor sweet.

Cheers

Ray

Tends to be much smoother running on higher grade fuel especially optimax.

Oil: Have just put fully synthetic in my car for the first time (Mobil 1). Have been praying oil week for no oil leaks as sometimes fully syn. can cause small leaks if it hasn't had it in before. I swear by the stuff now. Really smooth and should give better fuel consumption/performance.

Hope this helps

Simon

Mobil 1 15/50W doesn't cause leaks in VW engines....used to use it in my 16V Turbo. It's great oil, just expensive.

Optimax......yeah it's good stuff. Regular use of it will clean up your valves too, which is always a bonus :lol:

Kev

I had a golf vr6 before I bought the Corrado. I was a little dissapointed with the Corrados performance when I test drove it. I took it to the garage and put some super in it (98 ron) and it drove like I expected. The guy who had it before used 95ron fuel. Shell Optimax is 98 ron which is what makes the difference, forget the sales sh!t, it simply has more energy in it, period. It makes the VR6 engine more responsive and gives more torque. Q8 also do a a super unleaded which is no different to Optimax in my opinion.

I use Shell Helix in my C, its very smooth and seems fine although officially you should use a semi-synth oil and I wouldn't dare reccomend anything else : )

Mobil 1 15/50W doesn't cause leaks in VW engines....used to use it in my 16V Turbo. It's great oil, just expensive.

I'll blame you if it leaks then. If you use fully syn. on an engine that's never had it before you always run a risk of it leaking. (see other threads on the subject) .

I'll agree its good stuff.

ta

timo (also know as Simon) :lol:

I've been using Optimax for nearly 2 years and have had no problems with engine running/performance and believe me I do drive the car very hard sometimes! As Kev has said it also keeps the valves free of deposits as it has a cleaning agent which other fuels lack. I do use an injector cleaner (Wynn's) every 5000 miles or so which helps overall performance and cleanliness.

I also use Shell Helix S/Syn which I have always believed to be the best oil for the price (it seems to stay golden for longer than others) and I have also bunged Slick 50 in with it just to give the engine optimal lubrication.

Many additives may well be gimicks but if a couple of years down the line your engine kicks the bucket you may look back and think if only I tried so and so it may have prolonged the life. Maybe!

Did you see the link I posted about the oil additives?

Surely if this magic additive "bonds to moving parts of your engine", it's MUCH more likely to bond to parts that aren't moving, such as oil channels...

Not sure if slick 50 is one of the "bonding" additives or one of the others, but I believe Porsche ran a test with one, and found that it reduced oil pressure in the engine due to channel blockages and so on..

It may be a more lubricated engine, but it's now got hardened arteries!

When you fire some fully synthetic oil into an older engine that hasn't used it before, the detergents in the fully synth strip off all the muck and grime which can then choke the filter.

Lets hope there it too much muck and grime. Must go to pub now, been shooting alll day and I am dying for some wifebeater (stella)

see ya

Simon 8)

ive always used optimax in my 16v, just tried bp ultimate, no difference in performance in my opinion, just a lot more expensive, 85.7 pence a litre!!!!

think ill just stick to optimax 8)

With reference to the Slick 50 additive, a test was run on an engine completely drained of oil and only having the Slick 50 added and the engine ran for nearly 4 hours before seizing.

Now that is surely a good thing?

As for clogging the lines, if this was the case then I would have thought the oil pressure would rise if anything.

whats the difference between using optimax and using normal unleaded and adding something like STP octane to the tank (only a fiver). i got very good power figures recently using that mix.

Also i tend to add the stp oil treatment everytime i change it- the original stuff.

Its like toffee and have heard very good stories

cheers

paul

With reference to the Slick 50 additive, a test was run on an engine completely drained of oil and only having the Slick 50 added and the engine ran for nearly 4 hours before seizing.

Now that is surely a good thing?

As for clogging the lines, if this was the case then I would have thought the oil pressure would rise if anything.

Depends where you measure the pressure. Measure it after the blockage and you will see reduced pressure.

I've seen those tests on the tv too, running an engine without oil. Fine if you don't have hydraulic tappets!!!

I suspect that a VR engine would run for exactly 30 seconds before seizing without any oil, no matter what additives you put in. First the tappets would drain and it would run like a dog, (if at all), then it would overheat in seconds and melt something important. Either way the slick 50 isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference - if you're out of oil it *will* die.

My 2p. :)

My main point was just good lubrication, which reduces friction and therefore reduces heat and expansion which in turn reduces wearing of parts.

If I'm wrong then so be it.

See http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/ for additives. I use Quantum semi- synthetic in the engine. Slick 50's supposed to be good in the gearbox but I didn't notice any difference. It gets discounted Safeway cooking unleaded for wifely pootling in town and Optimax for proper journeys - noticed it went better in France where super unleaded is cheaper and easily available. It's not a VR but G60s deserve good food too.