Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Passive rear steering?

when i push the car from side to side, the whole rear end moves about and the rear axle stays there.

theres over an inch of movement, you can see it moving when you get under the car. I think the bushes deffo need doing.

is this something i can do myself, is going to get expensive otherwise as i 'm about to get some KW1 coilovers too in an attempt to lift the front end up

sounds like it might be pivoting on the top rear mounts and wobbling on those so to speak. are you replacing the suspension any time soon?

looks to me like the rear beam bushings have torn away from the inner sleeves, they usually get failed on an MOT well before they get that bad, you need to disconnect the rear brake lines and handbrake cables and drop the beam, the old bushes can be cut out but the new ones are tricky to pull in without the proper tool as they are curved/shaped on the ends, it is possible with a bit of inginuity

see this thread

Holy cr@p! That looks bad.

I can confirm that the rear axle bushes are a pain in the arse to do but make the car handle so good once done. Luckily for me a friend (mechanic) was able to get my car up on a lift so no need to take brake lines off etc. But he has done loads before.

Mine were pretty welded in, and I replaced with OEM bushes. The powerflex ones would be far easier to press in as the OEM ones have an odd shape to them. But you'll lose the passive steering flex you get with the originals. Either way I don't recommend trying it on your own or on the ground.

i have a local garage with the lift etc but a bit unsure whether i want to use them, i've asked them numerous times to check out all the suspension and they miss things imo.

it wasn't long ago they fitted the rear wheel bearing and brakes, brake lines on axle etc and they didn't notice this. Then weeks before that i had that wishbone issue where it came loose and they haven't noticed this either.

i reckon its been buggered/loose for ages, was just by chance i decided to rock the car yesterady

really pleased in a way as its been a nightmare to drive and now i think i know why :lol: I was turning through chicanes and wondered why after the 2nd one there was a fight to get car straight again

thats crazy! i know you have had a handling issue for sometime, surely someone suggested the rear beam bushes already?

I changed mine earlier this year, made a huge difference. I did the work myself and replaced with oem bushes from vw. Depending on your mechanical ability and access to tools you could do it yourself. Check my readers ride thread as i did a write up including how i improvised a tool to get the new bushes in.

Hmm, your mechanics sound like a bunch of cowboys mate.

If I were you I'd take it to Stealth or somewhere with a similar rep and get them to properly sort it. It may end up costing a fair bit more but at least you'll have peace of mind that's its been looked at someone who actually knows what they are doing. After all, you've been having issues for ages and it may be something is up.

My 2p.

thats crazy! i know you have had a handling issue for sometime, surely someone suggested the rear beam bushes already?

I changed mine earlier this year, made a huge difference. I did the work myself and replaced with oem bushes from vw. Depending on your mechanical ability and access to tools you could do it yourself. Check my readers ride thread as i did a write up including how i improvised a tool to get the new bushes in.

people did mention it, but the chap i bought car from (works at the garage) said they had already been done so i dismissed them :nuts:

i have a feeling they may of fitted them and used cheap parts or not got it right, i remember a knocking from the rear since i bought the car

Hmm, your mechanics sound like a bunch of cowboys mate.

If I were you I'd take it to Stealth or somewhere with a similar rep and get them to properly sort it. It may end up costing a fair bit more but at least you'll have peace of mind that's its been looked at someone who actually knows what they are doing. After all, you've been having issues for ages and it may be something is up.

My 2p.

i thought of that, but with the coilovers, bushes, geometry setup and a couple of tyres its probably going to come to £1200-£1500 to get someone to supply and fit.

if i can fit suspension and the bushes then ill pay for tyres and geometry setup at elite or maybe stealth.

deffo not using the local garage for everything anymore, am sure i dropped it in for a service once and they forgot to do it, never got book stamped nor do i get a bill, but they were convinced i had paid so left it and did a service myself anyway

get them changes asap they will transform the handling and also the ride. With the old perished bushes fitted the back used to feel loose and did not inspire any confidence. As well as the bad handling the car used to have a crashy ride. As soon as i changed them not only did the handling sharpen up but the ride was so much better too. I could drive my car on the inside lane and not have to avoid drain covers etc. I noticed you mentioned selling your suspension kit, i would hold off untill you get the bushes done and then think again,

Atleast you have finally diagnosed the issue, im sure you will enjoy the corrado much more when you get them done.

yeah i fitted powerflex rear beam bushes the other month and they have made a massive difference to the handling, so much more grip as my KW V1's can now move more freely and keep the wheels on the road for longer. you have to use a special VW tool to fit the originals so I would stick with powerflex if you are going to do it yourself. the longest part of the job was removing the old bushes, which I ended up cutting out. The power just slot in with a little knock with a hammer to finish them off.

yes i'm so pleased i've found something wrong, in a strange way, as i've not enjoyed the car for about a year.

the thing is with my suspension is the front seems too low, i think if i get the KW1's i should be able to gain 10mm on the front and that should bring the wishbones level

not sure why but the weitec -40mm spring kit and the Pi -40mm spring kit both lowered the front of mine by 90mm

yeah i fitted powerflex rear beam bushes the other month and they have made a massive difference to the handling, so much more grip as my KW V1's can now move more freely and keep the wheels on the road for longer. you have to use a special VW tool to fit the originals so I would stick with powerflex if you are going to do it yourself. the longest part of the job was removing the old bushes, which I ended up cutting out. The power just slot in with a little knock with a hammer to finish them off.

my rear bushes look like they have nearly removed themselves lol i can see i metal rod where axle joins car, and the axle slides along that quite freely :eek:

yes but if they are original parts then there is a metal shaft that the bolt goes through and a metal casing around the rubber bush that fits very snuggly to the rear beam, its the metal casing that is a real pain to get out, use a heat gun and cut a slit out of it with an angle grinder, then crush it a little and smack it with a hammer should do the trick

I reckon a trip to Stealth is the way to go - tell Vince what the problems are you've been having, whats been changed and what still needs doing - then get him to check everything before setting up on the machine...

Expensive but should be job done after that!

i think my plan is to attempt powerflex rear bushes with a useful mate and also fit the suspension as thats quite easy.

then a trip to stealth to get it all setup, otherwise it will be a massive bill

this is weird

i just been outside, (car has sat in garage since i discovered it wobbled) and found that the rear doesn't wobble at all now, its solid?

it must be the wet or the heat that does something to them, probably why its never shown up before, i can't tell anything is wrong now when i shake car

the handbrake has been on both times i've tried it.

thinking back the 1st time i noticed it was after i had jacked the front up (back came with it) to check front brakes