coolrado

How to identify dead top mounts.

Thanks to this thread I discovered my passengers side top mount is mangled. And pretty badly too. The drivers side isn't far behind.

Can anyone confirm if there's a certain version of the top mounts that last longer than the others?

Tomorrow I'm going to order new bearings and top mounts and want to make sure I don't waste money.

Bought a set of theses a couple of weeks ago as my standard mounts are properly dead this time (torn away from the middle) so I thought I would them a try, I have just phoned the manufacturer as I was a bit concerned about the design of the metal plate after reading a couple of posts on other forums, he told me that the metal plate was added after a customer had fitted them and managed to damage his bonnet after hitting a large bump, but from the sound of it they had been fitted incorrectly, still not sure whether to use them or not.

If you're replacing top mounts regularly, you'd be better off with something like this and benefit from more caster aswell :D

Link? I'm assuming you're on about the MED's :lol:

I've got the MED's and I loved the difference they made to the steering. Just the bearings don't last all that long, but tbh mine have been in a while now and bearings still seem ok.

Guys just to confirm,my top mounts on my g60 were busted(bearing wise) but the rubber was intact so they didnt look busted but they were.the rubber was not brilliant and does flex abit when lowering car back onto the ground but nothing like the pictures.

I undone the 22mm nut on the strut,took the top cap off, and raised the car to drop the strut(you dont have to undo any other bolts).This is the best way to check the bearings. mine was flapping all over the place giving movement at the top of the strut.

New ones on, car is more stable,especially over bumps

hope it helps guys

When I have the car jacked up I have side to side movement of the the top mount. its on coilovers. Is it because of the coilover being shorter that the mount comes out of its seating.

Anyone else have this ?

When I have the car jacked up I have side to side movement of the the top mount. its on coilovers. Is it because of the coilover being shorter that the mount comes out of its seating.

Anyone else have this ?

who ever fitted the coilovers maybe didn't tighten the top bolt after they dropped the car back on to the road. are all the bolts tight? otherwise the mount has gone and needs replacing.

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

when the bearings go do you get a knocking/thudding noise sometimes when turning?

i ask as i did all new top mounts when fitting the coilovers but suspect after 10,000miles they are begining to fail, either that or its the steering rack.

I have the same problem. Well, sort of.. Fitted h+r lowered springs and bilstein b4's with brand new top mounts and when i full lock it thuds (like the spring pinging off something). This happened pretty much the day after fitting. Having got it back on the ramp it seams the near side spring is loose but the offsides fine?? I really have no idea wattagwan! Any ideas other than kicking it really hard?

hi. does anyone know how much they are for the G60 from vw?
I'll let you know in a couple of days, just ordered a couple from tps via my dad's place, he couldn't remember on Friday how much tps said they were but said they were pretty cheap so he ordered the genuine ones.

get ready.... 117 euro in germany....EACH! that is before they stopped supplying them :rolleyes: There is very little parts for the corrado that you can get now,even asked for a g60 oil filter last week and they said they cant get it anymore.Obviously went to bosch after and they got me a Mahle filter for 11 euro.

VW classic parts hasnt listed very much for corrado yet but their in the process of.

well after miss-quoting about 18 quid each then delivering the parts, the cheeky bu99ers at VW then tried to invoice for about £50 each TRADE plus vat, so told them where to stick them and bought some pattern ones for around a tenner each, had these on the valver for over 40K with eibach springs and koni dampers so it's worth the risk especially as the 8v has standard suspension anyway.

im pretty sure lemforder top mounts are good quailty if not OEM for lot of Vag models now.I know skoda VRS use lemforder bushes and mounts and never heard complaints about them.

What do you think guys?

ECP do lemforder wishbones IIRC but they are nearer VAG prices too I think, something like 80-90 quid each, so if they do top mounts they may well be the OEM supplier to VW.

Well I've just done the 8v top mounts and I've discovered a similar problem to Phil, the bearings on the FEBI mounts (INA bearing in middle) I've just taken off the car are fine, not done many miles but the rubber mount itself although still perfectly bonded to the bearing have 'popped' up when fitted to the car. When removed from the car they return to almost normal???

I've fitted two new pattern ones (not FEBI but identical INA bearing in the middle) and they sit much higher (rubber is more rigid) and they look like they should.

I checked on the 16v which has pattern mounts too, but these have done loads of miles (easily 40K plus now) on hard eibach springs and fairly stiff koni dampers, they were fine, no bearing play and the rubber still sitting as it should.

Then a thought crossed my mind, these mounts (4cyl corrado up to late 1994) were also used on the passat, but later on VW fitted them to the smaller engined mk3 golfs (GTI, 16v and VR6 mk3 use the VR6 Corrado/mk4 type mount).

I'm now wondering if the rubber part of these mounts is just not heavy duty enough to support the weight of the Corrado front end compared to small engine mk3's, so the mounts are fine on the mk3 but the rubber distorts quickly on the Corrado.

Whether this is because the spec of the mounts has changed slightly to suit the mk3 more (less vibration by using softer rubber) or it's just a miscalculation by the pattern mount suppliers I don't know, but it's clear that this problem is not only occuring on pattern mounts and is not limited to cars with non-standard suspension.

I find it interesting that both of my cars had genuine original VAG mounts on them and I've fitted a couple of pattern sets now, but on none of the sets have I ever had a bearing failure, it's always the rubber that wears and pops up, they shouldn't do this as far as I can tell as the disc below the rubber should only touch fully as a last safety cushion to hitting a very big bump!

The G60 mounts were more heavy duty David but as always the pattern parts just don't seem to last - I'd still fit the VR type mounts as you can replace the seperate parts if needed - done around 50k on Genuine ones now on the TDI and seem to take the heavy front end fine!

I know this has been discussed before Steve, but does changing to the vr6 style 2 piece mounts require new springs, or just the spring top plate and nut(in place of the slotted nut on the early type?)

Just to add to the pics of top mounts here are my new pattern ones just fitted, they have sagged a little on fitting but nothing like the ones that came off. If they look like they are dying they'll go back to the factors and I'll look at getting together the vr6 style bits.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48185[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48186[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48187[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48188[/ATTACH]