coolrado

How to identify dead top mounts.

Definitely plastic mate - well the cases anyway!

They seem to get changed on MK4's / Audi A3's every 30-40 miles or so but I do wonder if it's because garages use air guns to do the top nuts up.

Hi, can you help me with my top mounts, they have looked like this since i replaced the suspension and everything is new, have i got the top bush in the wrong way round or something???

img0015g.jpg

img0016i.jpg

please note the knackered one's in my photo's are for a g60, the vr6 ones may look totally different when knackered.

Hurd this knocking earlyer whilst driving home

opened the bonet to have a see what it is and took the top mount to find this :(

Drivers side

100205_165646.jpg

Passenger side

100205_165625.jpg

so could anyone tell me the best top mounts to buy for my 9a corrado would it be g60 or vr6??

You just need the standard ones for your car which are the later 'VR6' type - make sure you buy genuine VW ones as these seem to be the only ones that last!

Pointless really as the rubber bit of the standard mount isn't the bit that wears out. The bearings are the weak part and no one does uprated bearings.

hmm I guess this solves the damn knock I have been hunting for the last two evenings

first off 5 year old dead mounts on the golf lol but they dont knock lol

drivers side

SDC12874.jpg

passenger side

SDC12875.jpg

now the raddo 600 mile old mounts :(

drivers side

SDC12876.jpg

passenger side

SDC12877.jpg

gonna nip vw and see how much they are from them as these are from one of the 2 big parts places for french and german cars and are crap :mad2:

Take a look at post 19 in the thread below. A bit of overkill for a road car, but maybe a slightly more complient material could be used to stop the rubber deforming, causing the large gap above the tower.

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/show ... 988&page=2

I have bought a new pair of mounts which I plan to fit at the weekend, but like everyone else has found, they don't last long.

I have no problems with the bearings, it is just the rubber deforming and sagging. I am starting to think, am I waisting time and money replacing them, they only sag so far, and then the rubber will sit on the steel bearing mount which has a large surface area. I don't have a mount to hand at the moment, but I am thinking about sticking with the old ones which have sagged. What else is going to happen to them? The rubber will not pass through the tower, and the steel bearing mount will not pass through the rubber unless it completely splits in two, which would be very unlikely.

Maybe I am missing something, because I don't have one to hand, but I am really starting to question the idea that a large gap between the top of the tower, and underside of the steel cap which fits above, to stop the strut dropping is even a problem other than MOT testers saying they are no good.

I just bought a pair of top mounts for heavy duty suspention from vw for £25.78 which ironicly is cheaper than on europants website :lol:

just gotta fit em now n see if it cures the knock we have

the vw part number is 357 412 331a

Pointless really as the rubber bit of the standard mount isn't the bit that wears out. The bearings are the weak part and no one does uprated bearings.

when the bearings go do you get a knocking/thudding noise sometimes when turning?

i ask as i did all new top mounts when fitting the coilovers but suspect after 10,000miles they are begining to fail, either that or its the steering rack.

Hi, can someone confirm that the new topmount bearings from the dealers for a VR6 have a plastic surround? My old ones (original) are all metal like Dr Mat queried earlier. Hope they last as long. 16 years!! Ta, Neil

Yeah - plastic MK4 part - it was the MK3 ones that were metal but now superceded

anyone got the part number for these?