Sign in to follow this  
twofourten

HELP - It's exploded or something

I turned the engine over this morning and was imediately greated by the stench of pertol fumes, taking a few minutes to wake up and consider the issue I then got out the car to find that what looks like both petrol and oil are being pumped out of the engine bay in every possible direction?!

The entire engine bay, including the padding in the inside of the lid, is dripping with liquid?!

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to get it towed to the garage and have the entire engine cleaned before they can even find the problem - which is going to be pricey.

Any ideas anyone, please...

Sounds like a fuel line broken. The oil is probably just being washed off engine components (and the padding under the bonnet!) by the fuel..

Bloody dangerous on the G60...

There are 3 hoses, a feed and a return on the left hand side and then a small U shaped hose on the right that feeds from the fuel rail to a pressure switch...

If these hoses have never been changed I would buy all 3 from VW - around £50

Don't take any chances as it's a big fire risk on these engines!

Thanks for your help, it turned out to be the 6 inch U shaped hose.

Whoever replaced it last time used some cheap rubber that wasn't even a fuel hose and had no webbing in, It had split. I got a metre of hose from a dealer and cut it to length - job done

Reminds me of a similar thing which happened on my mate's mk2, driving along he's saying the fuel gauge is going down a bit quick, couple of minutes later the smell of petrol starts to get pretty strong. We take 5 mins or so to pull over to a safe spot to have a look, by this time the gauge has dropped by about half a tank - looked under the bonnet and it was as if someone had taken 2 buckets of petrol and just chucked it into the engine bay :o

Still can't believe it didn't end up in a fireball!

Make sure you used proper fuel hose clamps and not jubilee clips. The proper jobs clamp the hose on with a more even pressure around the circumference of the hose.

hi neilG60,

i re-used the old hose clamps as they were intact & in good condition, thanks for the advice though - maybe now i will check the other bits under the hood and see if anything else needs replacing...