Sign in to follow this  
poll250

Spark Plug blown out of Engine!

Morning!

So last night I'm driving along, minding my own business, avoiding 4x4 drivers here and there, when my car makes a bit of horrible noise then starts to sound like an old Beetle. Yikes!

So we pull over at the nearest safe spot and take a look under the bonnet, after a bit of searching I found that one of the HT leads was dangling down with a spark plug in the end! ( Drivers side rear as you look at the engine).

After a 2 hour wait in the freezing cold the RAC guy turned up and tried to screw it back in but I guess it had been loose for a while and the thread just span.

Having had a look around it looks like a helicoil is going to be the best option, as I don't really want the head off just yet. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with fitting a helicoil to a VR6 engine, as it looks like access to this plug might be a bit restricted?

Thanks,

Andy

you can get long helicoil taps and insertion tools to do this sort of thing, most decent garages should have them, you just need to make sure that any swarf is removed from the bore after it's been tapped out, a vacuum with a bit of tube on the end should do the job.

I know someone with a VR golf that had to have a helicoil done so it is possible with the head in place, cost him 150 quid and took them about 1/2 an hour.

To date I've heard of 2 examples of plugs blowing out of VR6 engines, and this is the 3rd, so thankfully it's a rare problem!

I don't think plug 1 being loose is the problem tbh, you would definitely notice the lack of compression in the cylinder as a very rough idle and poor performance.

Sounds like the threads just gave way on the firing or compression stroke? Could be a casting defect on a handful of heads out there?

Thanks guys,

I was pretty suprised when I tried searching and only found 2-3 threads where this had happened. Normally when something goes wrong with the 'VR its fixes have already been comprehensively documented on here!

I'll have a ring round some local places and see whether they can do it for me!

the mate of mine with the golf was told that he hadn't tightened the plugs up enough so over the course of 40k miles they had jiggled loose and worn away the threads to the point they just blew out, he said his dad told him to only tighten them hand tight, he hadn't even compressed the crush washer on the new plugs. :cuckoo:

See if you can find a place that uses Time-Sert inserts rather than Helicoils, they might cost a bit more but are more robust and make a more permanent job.

i have had this problem and i have the heli coil kit to prove it

i have a spare heli coil if you dont want to pay out for a kit mine went several years ago and

it cost me £70 then so i have no idea what once would cost now

i can sell you a coil for say £10 posted but if you can get to mine i have the tools you can do it your self

i must say its a major pain in the arse when it happens !!!

let me know

i have had this problem and i have the heli coil kit to prove it

i have a spare heli coil if you dont want to pay out for a kit mine went several years ago and

it cost me £70 then so i have no idea what once would cost now

i can sell you a coil for say £10 posted but if you can get to mine i have the tools you can do it your self

i must say its a major pain in the arse when it happens !!!

let me know

Hey mate,

That sound good to me, PM me payment details and watnot and i'll get payment sent however you want asap!

Thanks, Andy

just thought you will need to get the tap as well and i dont have a spare one of them

i could post you mine if you would be so kind as to return it to me once you have fixed your plug

pm sent

kelly

To date I've heard of 2 examples of plugs blowing out of VR6 engines, and this is the 3rd, so thankfully it's a rare problem!

I don't think plug 1 being loose is the problem tbh, you would definitely notice the lack of compression in the cylinder as a very rough idle and poor performance.

Sounds like the threads just gave way on the firing or compression stroke? Could be a casting defect on a handful of heads out there?

More likely it's been over-tightened in the past and it's pulled the thread up - only alloy remember...

Hi Andy,

If you get really stuck, I have a VR6 head that you can have FOC mate. It's Ziderapple's old one before he went 24v and he gave it to me instead of dumping it as he needed it shifted ASAP. As far as I know it's in perfect working order, still has the fuel rails, injectors, all valvetrain and some other bits and bobs.

Would be nice to see it help someone on the forum, plus you're local.

Jon. :salute:

Hi Andy,

If you get really stuck, I have a VR6 head that you can have FOC mate. It's Ziderapple's old one before he went 24v and he gave it to me instead of dumping it as he needed it shifted ASAP. As far as I know it's in perfect working order, still has the fuel rails, injectors, all valvetrain and some other bits and bobs.

Would be nice to see it help someone on the forum, plus you're local.

Jon. :salute:

now there's a good excuse to do clutch/chains/tensioners and the head gasket all at the same time :D

what more do you need?!? :lol:

I'll have it :lol:

By the way, I've tightened my plugs to 25 lb-ft over the 6 years I've had it and never had any problems. Hand tight is certainly going to cause an issue :)