Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Tyre deflatting to 18 PSI, tyre seems fine??

I've taken my tyre to a garage coz my front left tyre keeps deflatting to 18PSI and not any lower, they checked the bead and the vavle and said its all fine and cant see why it keeps losing pressure, i dont think they took the tyre off but just took wheel off and checked it all out.

What should i do?

Neil

Strangely my passenger side front wheel keeps going down to 10psi .. not completely flat so that the rim is on the road, but still very annoying. As I get my tyres from the local tyre distributor I only paid £25 ex VAT for each wheel last time (hmmm, wonder if that's why!) so I might as well just replace mine.

you could remove the wheel, lay on either side with water around the rim and look for bubbles forming.

ah good idea, kinda like the old method for testing bike inner tubes.

will see if the garage will remove and replace the tyre anyway to see if that helps, strange how it wont go completely flat tho.

Places like Kwik Fit wont use the rim seal anymore, you'll need to go to a smaller chain/garage to get that done, mine were doing this, it turned out the tyres were all fine, but corrosion around the inside rim was allowing air to leak out.

I've bought a spare set of speedlines while i get my originals refurbed to stop this happening...

Mine keeps dropping slowly to 5PSI, but my wheels are in dire need of refurbing. I've put it down to a bad seal on the rim due to alloy corrosion. Just keep regularly checking/inflating them.

How weird.

I don't use my C all the time but when walking past it last week, noticed that the two rear tyres looked deflated.

I drove it to the petrol station, the left was 7 PSI!!!! and the right 16 PSI. I put air the the left but the right would not inflate at all. After putting the spare on, checked the left again which had already fallen 3 PSI. Noitced a nail in one and guessing a faulty valve in the other! Just before Christmas!

Mine keeps dropping slowly to 5PSI, but my wheels are in dire need of refurbing. I've put it down to a bad seal on the rim due to alloy corrosion. Just keep regularly checking/inflating them.

Not really had time to read thru but it could be a few things...

Old alloys leaking - also not helped lazy tyre fitters not inspecting properly and removing corrosion and using sealant etc....

If you suspect the valve then try a metal cap with an O ring seal (Halfords) - you will still loose some but very little - still needs correcting tho with a new valve (or core)

Need to stick the wheel in a bath really if you can't see anything obvious - some tyre places have a large bucket for this purpose!

got the old sebrings on for the winter and guess what,one tyre down to 7 psi.

drove ok though!

7PSI !!! - thats f'kin dangerous and I wouldn't use that tyre again as the steel band will be damaged!

well the garage didnt take the tyre off, but they did put water around the rim and didnt notice and air leaks or anything, but it is a slow deflation, they said if i can get the tyre off they'll take the tyre off and check the beed and clean it all up and refit the tyre.