Sign in to follow this  
joinerboy

Help me please

im am in the process of changing the suspension on my corrado vr6. im doing bushes at the same time.heres where the problem starts.

im in the process of removing the rear axel(following the directions in the knowledge section) but have hit a problem

100_1806.jpg

this is in the way of the bolt coming off. there are 2 hex bolts holding it in place but they wont budge

the guide says 'saw it off', could anybody elaborate for me. what do i do?

i would like to get job finished before i go back to work

Well, you don't actually need to remove it according to a few people that have done the job recently, but if the brake lines running to it are seized and the threads get damamged then you might need to replace it.

Basically you need to saw through the unit behind the bolt heads, or drill the bolt heads out so you can slide the brake pressure regulator off the bolts, then remove the bolts with a set of irwin bolt grippers or mole grips.

See if you can see a way around removing the regulator if you're short of time...

thanks for the advice toad.it is now problem solved. after large helpings of dinner and some needless panicking i returned to the workshop with my bro and cut the end of the bolt off. the axel then came off a treat and was in pretty good condition which cheered me up

DSC00086-1.jpg

soz for crap pic took it quick with my phone.

que hours of sanding and some rust treatment. tomorrow comes the spraying

thread can be closed if mods want

Excellent, glad you got it sorted. Might try to link it to the other threads about this at some point to make 1 definitive rear axle removal thread.

Good work, Stealth usually use an air saw to get the comp valve off VR's, luckily it's much simpler of 4 cyl models...

Other point worth noting that might help if your on your own on axle stands etc is to remove the brakes as this almost halves the weight of the beam (assuming they are being replaced / refurbed)