Funkster

How to separate control of the fog lights? [solved, see post 11]

Hi all,

Had a search but couldn't find anything relating to this...

Is there a simple way to allow independent control of front / rear fogs on the Corrado? The fronts can be on on their own, but if you turn the rears on it turns the fronts on also. I don't like it!

Is there one convenient wire to cut / de-pin / connector to remove to make them completely separate?

Cheers in advance!

--

Olly

Edited by Funkster
updated title to show that I've found the answer

i dont know is the short answer, in theory you could trace the wires, disconnect it and get another switch and puti it in the spare space to contol them independantly but I'm not sure i understand why you'd do this?

The rears are there for safety, purely to help you be seen in foggy conditions, as are the fronts (lets be honest innmost cars fog lights do sod all to light the road!) so whats the harm in leaving them on??

Two reasons...

Firstly the front fogs don't necessarily help visibility, so I might want the rear on so I can be better seen, but the fronts off so I have best control over what's lit in front of me.

Secondly, when some eejut is behind me with his/her front fogs on in clear weather, it'd be nice to be able to flash my rear fog at them without flashing the fronts at someone else :o)

Yeti, there are actually two switches on the 'rado, but one of them does both.

ttfn,

--

Olly

Two reasons...

Firstly the front fogs don't necessarily help visibility, so I might want the rear on so I can be better seen, but the fronts off so I have best control over what's lit in front of me.

Secondly, when some eejut is behind me with his/her front fogs on in clear weather, it'd be nice to be able to flash my rear fog at them without flashing the fronts at someone else :o)

ttfn,

--

Olly

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I do it too!!!! :norty: :norty:

Me too and i've thought before about modding the switch. Cant the switch me modded as opposed to the wiring. Surely its just something in the rear fog switch that presses the front fog switch in also.

I've wondered about this too.

I think there's a bridge inside the rear fog switch housing linking the two switches together when pressed, but not inside the front fog switch, if that makes sense?

I'll pull them apart at some point and have a look.

I find the front fogs cut under the fog quite nicely and I then can follow the cats eyes / lines (at great speed, LOL!) more easily. But why is it every time without fail, the moment the front fogs are used for their intended purpose, one or both of the bloody bulbs fail?! The rest of the year, they're fine!! (not that i use them when it's not foggy as that p1sses me off when other people do it).

We're in the 21st century and numpties still use their full beams in thick fog :roll: And / or drive at 3mph when it's not necessary.

Two reasons...

ttfn,

--

Olly

Yep i know there are 2 switches, i've had mine for a few years. I suggusted another switch as there is a grid of 4,

- switch controls both front and back

- just the front

- is a light

- is a blank

You could either change the front & rear as you wish or what i was trying to get across was to change the blank for an additional single action switch (theres enough people breaking cars atm to get one for not alot) to control the rear then you dont have to remove the original switches and use the blank space for something

I'd just love it if you could mod the earlier switches so that they illuminate when the fronts are on so I know when I've knocked them on by accident, one thing that VW did rectify with late interior.

They're more likely to overheat if it ain't cold and foggy and I too hate fogs on when it ain't foggy :bad-words:

Yep i know there are 2 switches, i've had mine for a few years. I suggusted another switch as there is a grid of 4

Ahh gotcha. I think I'd just end up getting confused though, it takes me long enough to figure out which is front and which is back when I want to turn them on in a hurry! :oD

I'll pull the switches out soon and see if the link is electrical or mechanical.

Cheers,

--

Olly

I know I'm dredging up an old thread here, but it's *my* old thread so that's okay right?

Turns out that "soon" means four years later, but here I am to answer my own question: it's in the switch. Pushing the rear button connects live to both outputs, whereas pushing the front button only connects to one (see first attachment).

The rocking contact bits are easy to remove (just unclip the rocking sprung plastic bit that actuates them, and lift out), but I don't think it's a good idea to chop the corner off that part 'cos it'll then tip sideways and you can see that the fulcrum part is crested on that one to allow it to sit equally on the two pads.

Instead, I carefully made a cut through the bussbar between the rear switch's front pad and the output for the front lights. There's a hole in the bussbar so I sawed it there with a hacksaw (see second attachment) having removed enough bits to make space for the saw. Hey presto, I have independent foglights and everything else works as you would expect.

If you try this, please be careful when disassembling the switch as there's loose pieces that'll fly off everywhere. Once you've unclipped the back, keep the end you press facing downwards while you draw out the switchgear and all should be well.

Hope someone finds this useful!

--

Olly

I did something similar ages ago, but I just put a small piece of insulating tape under the connector. Still working many years on :)