Sign in to follow this  
Storm Warning

Which Pads?

Is there an ultimate brake discussion thread? seems to be an ultimate thread for most things but I couldn't find one for brakes..

Anyway, what I was really after was finding out what everyones latest views on choice of Pads was?

I am running (or will be) 312 fronts and 280 rears. On standard brakes I've used std vag pads and pagid FRs. FRs are ok but I'm tempted to get something with a little more bite for very occasional track time however, most my miles is steady commute with an occasion stab on the brakes for round abouts so I'm not keen on having to get heat into them.

Short list:

Pagid FRs

Mintex xtreme

Ferodo DS Perfrormance (Formally DS2000) - Street legal fast road

Ferodo DS2500 - Are these actually legal on the road?

Thanks all! 8)

DS2500 are awesome!

I use EBC red stuff on the Rado as it is reasonably light and they work well at low temps as well

Not heard that - I wouldn't worry, they are a proven product and enough of us are using them!

They are in a different class to anything else i've tried - give Bill Brockbank at Badger5 a call to discuss, he's a big fan and will do a competitive price!

Yeah, thats where I saw the note about the DS2500 and not for road use, Balance seem to sell the yellow stuff as a DS2500 alternative for the road? but then I wonder if its more like the DS2000? Especially given the tiny price by comparison ds2500 being 2-3 times the price of yellow stuff.

Blurb on the DS2500/Yellow Stuff:

http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/products.asp?category=Brakes&subcategory=Trackday+Sprint+and+Hillclimb+Pads

Fine for road use the DS2500, i run them and i can lock up very easily as i dont have ABS, brill fro cold and awesome when hot, brill pedal feel and in those links it does say not approved for post 2000 cars, so all is good.

doh, would help if I read it right! :brickwall: So now I just need to talk myself into parting with £200 for pads :eek: , going to sleep on that one..

Oh I wouldn't bother with the rear ones - just get the VW ones for them, especially if you have MK4 rear calipers as they have the self-adhesive backing...

Its just the 280 conversion kit through Gwerks, I think I'll go Pagid FR rear and Ferodo Front. Looking forward to it! I'll give Badger5 a call. 8)