Sign in to follow this  
kvwloon

Inpro headlights? Any piccies and advice....

I don't care for the inpros much.. So I bought some off of ebay that are very similar to the inpro's but I like the design better and they are only $150 instead of $400. They also have plastic lenses that won't break when a rock hits them like the glass inpro's will.. I put my money into the hid.. I fitted BMW E36 Hi/low beam hid projectors into the housings.. And I upgraded the lenses on those to ZKW aftermarket lenses.. They are designed to upgrade these projectors making them even brighter, sharper and more colorful. So it is true hid headlight now.. Stay away from hid kits.. They suck because the projectors in a halogen headlight like the inpros are designed to reflect the the halogen bulb. But halogens and hids disperse light totally different so it is like putting a florescent tube in a fixture made for a standard bulb... The light won't reflect the same.. Make sense? I have yet to ever use the hi-beams. It is like daylight for 200 feet in front of the car and about 100 feet wide... But if i wish I can turn the hi-beams on and the cutoff shields flip down and then you get some hight out of them too... Inpros with and hid kit are bright but not like these... I have compared them side by side.. The cut off line flicker of color is way better too. Do whatever you want.. That's what I did.. Anyway... Here are some pics for you..

Oh. And the cops have never even mentioned them... That says it all! :salute:

Hey that is really impressive mate

8)

that is cool.........

ok so the pic of the naked light/lens..

what is that is that the bmw 36 projector? or is it the uprated lens??

how much are the lens's???

and how much would you expect to pay for the bmw lights??

i guess they are only fitted to the m3 e36's???

this is interesting stuff

thank you

Yep that naked projector is the bmw one... These are available on ebay pretty much all the time. But you don't have to get the same ones.. Acura tsx are the best but they don't have high beams.. There are tons kinds available so that is all up to you.I had two cut the hole for the projector in the headlight bigger for these ones.. They were quite a bit bigger than the halogen ones were.. The glass lead crystal lens on the projector is what I replaced.. You can get the zkws off of ebay for like $75. The one in the photo is the original bmw one.. After upgrading the lenses I also used washers to space the lens holder farther away from the reflector bowl to focus the cutoff line sharper than the factory units... But to better understand why I replaced the lenses I must explain the difference between the two... The bmw lenses on bmws in the US are frosted to make them less focused and thus not as bright... They also have a line etched in them that fogs the cut off line.. Thats the US for you downgraded European performance as usual. :cuckoo: The cut off line is where you get all that really nice color flicker from that you see on factory cars. The zkw lenses are water clear so they are sharp and focused putting out as much light as possible.. This is why putting an Hid hit in a halogen housing does not work well.. This stuff has to be precise to get the best output, much like focusing a camera..

Dude, I have the same headlights (as I have to have LHD headlights) and I'm really interested in knowing how you pulled them apart and sprayed the inner bits black, I reckon that'll look pimp. What paint did you use etc?

You can pull the headlight lenses off if you put them in the oven on 350*F for 10 to 15 minutes... And then you just put them back in again and put them back together.. I used Krylon for plastic metallic black.. I also primed them with krylon black.. The angel eyes come off with screws from the back.. I just masked the rings around the headlight bowls to keep them black around the edge...

You can pull the headlight lenses off if you put them in the oven on 350*F for 10 to 15 minutes.

Do you reckon this will work for inpro rear lights too?

I'd love to pull apart my Inpro headlights and paint the inside of the headlight black...but truth be told I've not got the bottle in case I screw it up :(