Sign in to follow this  
jamin

ABS Hub sensor removal

I'm in the process of trying to refurb these hubs, but cant work out how the damn ABS sensor comes off the housings (I've removed the obvious bolt, but it still wont budge!) - any ideas?

DSCN1378.JPG[/attachment:1c96fj5f]

There's only be one bolt keeping it on the hub - the one you've already removed

It's probably just siezed on, try using some penetrating fluid and try knocking it out with a hammer

destroyed mine a few weeks ago getting it out.

Blink codes had told me it was fooked so no issues really

Put some copper slick round it when you put it back in.

Dic

The front ABS sensor is about £55 from the $tealers I think :o

Euro car parts sell them for about £10 less, though I'm not sure if they are the same part or an after market type

I think GSF have them for about £15 each. They have a plastic housing so no rust weld. Having said that i still used some copper grease on mine :nuts:

I've had to replace the same one twice on mine and both times I had to totally destroy the sensor to get it out. The first one was metal and was totally bonded on, but the second one was plastic and was stuck too. I think it had bitten very hard into the plastic.

My second sensor got destroyed prematurely because the ABS ring was slightly warped just enough that the rust on the ring had swelled enough to lightly touch on the sensor, hence destroying it eventually.

Try to 'enlarge' the hole slightly once you get it out by maybe lightly filing it or giving a touch of a Dremel.

Thanks chaps, I've also found they seem to 'weld' themselves to the housings. We managed to get one of them out without destroying it. I think I might just buy new ones from GSF as I am refurbing the rest of the pieces.

Get on ebay for sensors, bought 2 a month or so ago for £24 delivered and they worked fine. :grin:

i had the same problem with mine.

those sensors are inexpensive to replace - check out www.vwspares.co.uk

the original ones have metal sheaths (as mentioned above) and are swines to get out withot damaging them. for the sake of a few quid, you may as well just get hold of some new ones. they are known to play up as the car gets older, so you should have peace of mind afterwards.

also, (again mentioned above), the new ones they send oyu should have plastic sheaths, meaning they "should" be much easier to remove in future if you need to...