Sign in to follow this  
MarkGolf

Starter motor clicking!

Just tried to fire my car for the first time since it's buildbut starter motor just clicks!

The starter has been pulled to pieces at one point due to chrome bits so is the problem with the starter motor being jammed or a low battery?

Cheers

lol! Yeah

Got a new Optima but it's at my g/f's parents house in San Francisco!! Flying out there to see them with her on the 10th, knew I should have booked it for this month! :brickwall:

If it still wont start with the fully charged battery, Get someone to turn the key and keep it turned, and at the same time hit the starter motor with a pole and hammer or whater you have to hand. Thats what ive done with mine in the past. The cog that spins the flywheel sometimes just gets stuck or a bit of crap gets jammed in. A good shock normally does the trick!

Defo not the batt, putting out 12.86V at the battery and starter motor..

Have pulled the starter off and checking it but all seems ok tbh!

The bit that shoots out is possibly a little stiff but not too much force is required to pull it out so I'm not really sure now! Did try the hammer trick beforehand too!

Turned the key with the starter removed and the cog which turns the flywheel just shoots back and forth and sounds like a machine gun. It doesn't spin! I can spin it by hand though...

It's possible it's the battery, but I think given that the starter has been apart a number of times I'd say it's more likely you've got a bad connection of bad brushes or you've simply broke the coils.

FWIW a 12v battery reading 12.86V has clearly only JUST come off charge, or your meter is inaccurate (12.6V is fully charged!). What does it read AFTER you've attempted to start the car? A battery with low current capacity will drain very quickly and the voltage output will fall quickly when you put it under load. If it's still reading 12.6 or above, then the problem is definitely not the battery.

Did go down to 12.4 or so..

To be sure, I borrowed the battery from my M3 and the starter did the same thing, just alot faster! Not too clued up on starter but hoping it's a solenoids problem!

It just shoots in and out, I would have thought if the solenoid was ok it would just hold the cog out rather than pule it in and out...

Damn annoying!