Sign in to follow this  
Badger

New brakes on a VR?

Well heres some better pics of the calipers.

Cant seem to up load more than one pic at a time :bad-words: so bare with me.

About an hour ago me mate phoned me to tell me he was off to Worcester with his work and did he want me drop these calipers in at big red. Had to say no because im not sure there the right ones. :mad2:

So what do you think, will they do the job?

Sorry mate, been absolutely manic at home (getting married in 7weeks) and not had a chance to keep up to date with this stuff.

Right, kit codes for Goodridge hoses you'll need are:

Front 288's - SVW0604-6 (pack of 6 hoses - 2 fronts, 2 axle connections, 2 rears)

Rear mk4's - SVW0506-2 (just the 2 rear conversion hoses)

As far as I'm aware those calipers are 280's and therefore must be from a pre-95 16V, I thought I'd put in my post they need to be from a late mk3 to be 288's??? :?

You can tell the difference between the two types of caliper if you look in the pics I posted on the first page. The 280's are bolted to the carriers and move on slider pins set into the carriers, the 288's are more of a floating caliper design and the caliper is attached to the carrier with two un-bolted sliding pins at the rear of the caliper and a securing wire fixing at the front.

Couple of guys are selling the correct one's on here at the moment. I got mine off bigpantsbaby and they are perfect, highly recommend asking him if he's got a spare set.

Thanks Mr_VR

Quick update.

These arrived today. MK4 Golf calipers, hopefully there the right ones.

Just the front calipers and carriers and hoses to go.

Does anyone have just the calipers and carriers for sale? All the ones i've seen on here and other sites come with all the other bits i alredy have.

Front 288's - SVW0604-6 (pack of 6 hoses - 2 fronts, 2 axle connections, 2 rears)

Anybody know what a good target price for the front hoses is? - checked a couple of websites (Venom and C&R) and they seem to be around £102 which is a lot more than I remember paying for the standard set up hoses when I replaced those a while ago

Yeah, Corrado VR brakes are 280mm, Golf VR are 288mm. Unfortunately you can't fit the bigger discs and retain the standard callipers as firstly they don't sit out far enough, and secondly the 288mm discs require a bigger pad and braking area.

If you're interested I have a set of nearly new brembo max discs and some mintex extreme pads for a standard Corrado VR. They really improved the braking on my car and I only replaced then when I swapped over to 288mm brakes. I'm sure I can do you a deal if you want (they're only gathering dust in my shed)

I'm quite interested, how much would you like for the discs and pads?

The braking performance on my VR6 (with greenstuffs) is appauling.

Anybody know what a good target price for the front hoses is? - checked a couple of websites (Venom and C&R) and they seem to be around £102 which is a lot more than I remember paying for the standard set up hoses when I replaced those a while ago

Vaughan, I paid just under £70 to C&R last summer for the full 6 hose kit for a late golf VR Mic is quoting above.

cheers

John

Vaughan, I paid just under £70 to C&R last summer for the full 6 hose kit for a late golf VR Mic is quoting above.

cheers

John

Thanks John - Had another hunt and found them @ £91 on Motorsportworld - they have a best price deal so if anybody knows of somewhere cheaper please shout! :wave: (Nb these are the stainless steel not zinc version)

I'll have some standard front Goodridge hoses for sale soon....

Im sure i got mine from GSF for about 60-70 quid that was a couple of years ago though worth a try though!!

Yeah, Corrado VR brakes are 280mm, Golf VR are 288mm. Unfortunately you can't fit the bigger discs and retain the standard callipers as firstly they don't sit out far enough, and secondly the 288mm discs require a bigger pad and braking area.

If you're interested I have a set of nearly new brembo max discs and some mintex extreme pads for a standard Corrado VR. They really improved the braking on my car and I only replaced then when I swapped over to 288mm brakes. I'm sure I can do you a deal if you want (they're only gathering dust in my shed)

I'm quite interested, how much would you like for the discs and pads?

The braking performance on my VR6 (with greenstuffs) is appauling.

Sorry mate, only just seen this reply. I'll dig them out over the weekend and PM you next week about them if that ok?

Badger, any luck with the hoses/calipers etc? Those rear mk4's are perfect btw, you might find that because of the slight difference in design from the standard corrado ones you need to slacken off the handbrake cables a little if you can't get them reattached.

As I guide I think I paid £65 for my Golf VR goodridge hoses, and about £25 for the goodridge mk2-mk4 conversion hoses for the rears.