Sign in to follow this  
mattnorgrove

Gear selection problems. HELP!!

So i made the huge mistake of letting my mum use the VR yesterday...

Got home from work, and found that when I try to select reverse, it struggles to locate, but eventually 1st gear engages! When i try to select 1st, then 3rd gear engages! Cant select 2nd or 4th at all.

The clutch seems to be engaging and disengaging fine, so I'm hoping to rule that out.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of one or both of the selector cables slipping out of position, but how do I check/rectify this?

Really hope it's not a more serious problem with the box itself. :shrug:

Any advice greatly appreciated as always.

Moral: NEVER lend your mum your Corrado. :(

the usual first check is to make sure the circlip on the lhs of the gearlever support pivot is in place, or it slides on it's mounting bar and doesn't transmit all of the left/right movement to the cable, pull up the gearlever surround and have a butchers

the shift cable (front rear movement) is not really adjustable at the gearbox end, but a small amount of the left/right selection cable is from the top of the shift tower on top of the box, on post 92 cars a redesign put a stupid plastic relay lever part in there, it's a strange bit of design and the visible bit of it is where the cable end clips onto it, pull up the tab that holds the cable end on and with the cable unclipped remove the nut that holds the plastic piece in place, withdraw it's strange cylindrical bit that slides onto the metal body of the top of the shift tower and carefully inspect the plastic part. It usually cracks around where the nut holds it in place. fairly cheap replacement from VW and has been redesigned a few times as it's so rubbish :)

Thanks for the reply David, sounds promising. You wouldn't know the part numbers for either the circlip and/or the other part you mentioned would you?

Cheers!

the connector is here: dieselgeek

circlip depends on year, some late ones have a centre clip which has a small locating hole that matches a small round locating pin on the end of the shift lever pivot, a redesign to prevent the circlip moving about and popping off. You need to have a look at the lever pivot under the gear lever surround to check which type you need.

also read this

Found the problem this evenin, it was the adjustment nut on the top of the box itself. Tightened back up, hey presto! Which means I can still make it to UD on Sunday! :clap:

Found the problem this evenin, it was the adjustment nut on the top of the box itself. Tightened back up, hey presto! Which means I can still make it to UD on Sunday! :clap:

I'd still consider replacing that plastic part the selection cable clips onto, it may be breaking up underneath and that's what lead to the nut undoing. I've seen loads that look fine, but when you remove them they are on their last legs, if it breaks the car is pretty much undriveable, it's almost worth keeping a spare in the car :)

I'd still consider replacing that plastic part the selection cable clips onto, it may be breaking up underneath and that's what lead to the nut undoing. I've seen loads that look fine, but when you remove them they are on their last legs, if it breaks the car is pretty much undriveable, it's almost worth keeping a spare in the car :)

That's exactly what happened to me and left me stranded with only 3rd and 4th useable. Part no 1J0-711-256.

DSC00034.jpg

Gruvenparts.com do a steel replacement but its 86 bucks and given the strength of the pound atm its a bit of a shocker.