Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

Is it possible to do the chain with the engine in the car?

Timing chain?

Yeah it is, you need to drop the gearbox out of the car to do it.

Personally I always lift the engine and box out of the car, I find it easier in the long run, and allows you space for other work such as changing wishbones, painting the block, ceaning or painting the bay.

hmm, ok, as I most likely will get a local guy to do the chain for me, although it would be good to have it out to clean it up and paint it.

Maybe I should think about doing it myselfe, I'm used to do general maintenance meachnical work, but never realy split up the engine so not sure.

we'l see...:)

It's not too bad to do... There is a good guide on here, and if you can get hold of the Bentley manual or the Peter Russek pocket manual then they talk you through it.

You do need an engine hoist, and there will be a lot of heavy lifting. (Less so if you use a hoist to take the whole lot out the car though...

I'm sure I wrote a guide for getting the engine out on here too. It's pretty simple, just work your way through the bay slowly. Front off the car, unpluy everything, exhaust off, p/s pump off engine and leave with the car, drive shafts off, then lift the engine out.... Easy Peasy... :p

I'l see if I think I'm up to the task...:)..hehe

Already have the bentley so that's sorted.........:)

Any idea how many hours it would take to change the chain when the engine is left in the car? (will change the clutch at the same time), roughly?.

I'l see if I think I'm up to the task...:)..hehe

Already have the bentley so that's sorted.........:)

Any idea how many hours it would take to change the chain when the engine is left in the car? (will change the clutch at the same time), roughly?.

Took my mechanic mate a good 18 hours to do everything.

Chains, clutch, slave cyclinder, crankshaft oil seal etc

I try to leave 3 days, just so everything can be done properly. Most of the ones I've done have had new cams putting in at the same time.

Clutch doesn't add any more time to the job, you have to remove it anyway to get the flywheel off.

A mate is required to help lock the engine when you torque a few bolts up.

Crankshaft oil seal (as mentioned) needs replacing and I'd put a new main water pump in, and crack pipe and thermostat housing while you are at it. Saves time in the future.

hmmm, do you reckon I should change the cams as well?

Already put in a huge order on parts from Germany, but if you recon I should do more things, please do tell (as it's still will be a month or two before I get the car out of the garage to give it an overhaul)...........it got about 120k km on it's clock.....(95 model)

Nope. All the jobs I've done have involved fitting Schimmel 263s or Shrick 268 cams as well as doing the timing chains... Unless you want to fit a different set of cams? The 263s seem to work very well :)

While you're at it, I'd change the engine and gearbox mounts, possibly oil pump, Wishbones are easier without an engine in the way... How much did you want to spend???? :tongue:

hehe, well, so far I'v collected the clutch kit, chain kit, bushings for the rear axel, break equalization valve (or whatever it's called), fuel filter, different bushings for the strut, new light switch, water pump +++++

so for now I don't know if I want to spend more, just yet........will have to take it a bit step by step (as this will be a car for summer time only), due to the fact they do a he*** of a lot of salting on the roads during winter time, and won't put it thru that shit.......the Passat VR6 is more suitable for that...;)

But do you think I will have to change the original cams?

But do you think I will have to change the original cams?

Nope. They'll be fine...

Good to hear!

Just can't wait to get her out of the winter storage........only driven it about 1000 km last summer when I picked it up in Sweden and took it back home to Norway.....;)