Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

Which coilovers do you use on your really bumpy local roads?

I really want to stick with my 17's as they look pretty darn sexy :norty:

However my Eibach springs and Koni damper set up is just way too harsh for where I live in the Peak District. In fact it was way too harsh with the std 15's on!

So before I go out in the next couple of months and blow a grand on some KW Variant 3's I was wondering what other suspension people were running on silly bumpy roads.

Please only reply if you live somewhere where the roads are sh!te :grin:

Ta

Matt

I'd stick to standard then with 17's or use Coilovers with 15's...

You'd be suprised how good a standard setup is, mine is great on standard shocks, H&R springs, all new VW bushes, topmounts with TT rear WB bushes and 16" P zero's - handling is superb!

You'd be suprised how good a standard setup is, mine is great on standard shocks, H&R springs, all new VW bushes, topmounts with TT rear WB bushes and 16" P zero's - handling is superb!

I am surprised the std dampers are up to the job of dealing with the stiffness of the after market springs. Do you not get really slow or limited rebound?

If I did go down this route though are std original shockers not going to cost me a fortune anyway? I thought I remembered someone saying that they were 150 smackers a corner :shock:

I've found the lowering kits i've had and the KW1's i've got now both give a hard ride, and it isn't very nice on bumpy roads. I don't find it bottoms out or bangs over the bumps, they do get asborbed but doesn't feel like its doing the suspension much good. I end up driving

I've found the lowering kits i've had and the KW1's i've got now both give a hard ride, and it isn't very nice on bumpy roads. I don't find it bottoms out or bangs over the bumps, they do get asborbed but doesn't feel like its doing the suspension much good. I end up driving

That is exactly how I feel at the moment and tbh I am kinda getting fed up of it. If i cannot come to some sort of solution I will have to look at making it 100% std again or dare i say selling it on and buying something sensible! It is a pain as on the right roads it feels bloody fantastic. Perhaps I should build a house in the middle of Donnington park LOL

i always try to tell myself this is how it would feel if i had a ferrari on the backroads :lol: Or i look at the "normal" people bouncing along in citroens and peugeots and feel glad thats not me

i don't think you can have the best of both worlds, you have to comprise a bit of comfort if you want a lower/stiffer ride :(

dare i say selling it on and buying something sensible!

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

LOL Dont worry mate I am sure it wont come to that.

Went to see Vince at Stealth last week and booked the car in for June so I cant sell until after that anyway :wink:

i always try to tell myself this is how it would feel if i had a ferrari on the backroads :lol: Or i look at the "normal" people bouncing along in citroens and peugeots and feel glad thats not me

i don't think you can have the best of both worlds, you have to comprise a bit of comfort if you want a lower/stiffer ride :(

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: There HAS to be a compromise! :grin: I only want to run 17's with a 30-40mm drop and be able to make swift progress on bumbpy roads. Its not like Im trying to send the car into orbit or anything :lol:

got to say fitted some coilovers at the weekend and i was worried about the ride quality ok it's hardish but nothing compaired to what i was expecting

Which coilovers did you get and how bumpy are your local roads though? :norty:

My VR came with some really cack red and yellows, rubbish at cornering but great for bumpy roads. I changed to Weitecs and now I can't go anywhere near as fast on really bad roads, but I can corner better so its worth it to keep them on. I think...I do wanna upgrade to KWs at some point.

I think also the lower you go, the more the car will bounce around, as it will bottom out really easily yet still have most of the piston to extend on rebound or if the road drops away. If you have them at half height say, then it has a bit more bump compression, but the potential distance for rebound is half. Make sense?

Pick the Mid-ground.. coilies and 16s?

I can say 60mm down spring kit and stock Boge shocks with 17's and 205/40's is pretty damn harsh!

And this is over the means streets of E-London, where anything smaller than the size of a ww2 1000lb bomb crater isn't considered a pot-hole! :censored:

Problem is it's such a nice set up over decent roads, but finding them these days is getting tough!

For ref I'm going down the KW-1/16's route as from all the reading of various threads that seems the best "Compromise" set up.

I think also the lower you go, the more the car will bounce around, as it will bottom out really easily yet still have most of the piston to extend on rebound or if the road drops away. If you have them at half height say, then it has a bit more bump compression, but the potential distance for rebound is half. Make sense?

LOL I think so.

Problem is it's such a nice set up over decent roads, but finding them these days is getting tough!

For ref I'm going down the KW-1/16's route as from all the reading of various threads that seems the best "Compromise" set up.

Well exactly I simply cannot put up with the dicomfort and slow speeds over 80% of the roads i travel for the thrill i do get on the other 20%. I mean my glove box keeps popping open for goodness sakes! LOL

I really would go down the 16's route, but i really like my wheels and they took ages to find :( Perhaps rather than try and find a suspension compromise. I will have to have a styling compromise and search for some 16's I like the look of.... Thinking back though my 15's were almost as harsh with my current set up as my 17's are now. Do get the rears hitting the top of the arches every now and again though now :brickwall:

Trur but if you go for KW-3's you have Bump and rebound adjustment... Too complicated for my little brain to get round hence I went for the "Compromise" KW-1's... but these, allied to not too much of a drop (a-arms horizontal at max) should give you the closest thing to a decent ride and decent handling... when you can use it!

Trur but if you go for KW-3's you have Bump and rebound adjustment... Too complicated for my little brain to get round hence I went for the "Compromise" KW-1's... but these, allied to not too much of a drop (a-arms horizontal at max) should give you the closest thing to a decent ride and decent handling... when you can use it!

What sort of drop would that be do you think?

hi,

not into scene points but have you thought about air.

ian

I see where you are coming from, but I honestly dont think it will offer the performance I am after. Plus I'm not really looking for a slammed look (as nice as that is sometimes) 30-40mm drop will suffice. Just don't want it looking like a MPV :grin:

I'm thinking there are a lot of Corrado owners out there who are suffering in silence! :lol:

Wonder how many of the worlds finest front wheel drivers are actually capable of dispatching a rough B road at anything faster than dumper truck pace now :grin:

I have just dropped back to the original setup - speedies on standard shocks. This was after 16" rims, which were light and a good setup. I5" really are where the comfort is, (obviously) and the car spools up quickly too. The TT comps look absolutely brilliant but the ride is hard, no question about it. I'm enjoying the speedies right now, but come summer the comps will be back on after a good ol' polish. I am, however, looking for some nicer 15", nicer than the speedies, that are light. So there's no real right answer i'm afraid. Might be worth changing all the bushes too, dont use the PU ones and keep a cushion on your seat!

I ran 17s with a std setup for a long time including track time and it handled well while being very forgiving on rougher b roads. Only when pushed did roll and understeer get a little fustrating and then there is the 4x4 look :lol: Now I run KW V1s, with the 17s and from a comfort perspective its 'ok'. They are certainly not crashy as you can experience on cheaper coilies and it takes roadworks-esq pot holes to jolt you in to submission and ease off. Put it this way I was very worried about making my car unbearable for my children but its fine... no puke on the hide so far :lol: Don't get me wrong I certainly have moments of "maybe I should have something more sensible/comfortable" but they are very infrequent, short lived and made up by the handling smiles per mile 8)

dare i say selling it on and buying something sensible!

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

LOL Dont worry mate I am sure it wont come to that.

Went to see Vince at Stealth last week and booked the car in for June so I cant sell until after that anyway :wink:

JUNE!!!

is he busy until then?

I am currently pondering the same dilemma, really want to get rid of the agricultural ride height, but really don't want to lose all the comfort that a standard setup offers.

Instead of coilovers (I'm not bothered about adjusting the ride height), what would a comfortable shock/spring combo be? Heard the PI springs are a little more forgiving than the Eibach, but opinions vary wildly.

What I'm after is just a sensible 40mm rear, 30mm front drop (too many speedhumps in my area to go lower), and stay on 15's (maybe 16's).

There must be a suitable shock/spring setup that could deliver the required drop, but retain all the comfort? Decisions decisions! :D

JUNE!!!

is he busy until then?

No, I have just spent £900 on my clutch and chains though. So I am being sensible and saving up the money rather than sjust spanking my credit card like I normally do :lol: Plus its my birthday the week after that so will be a nice pressie to myself :grin:

Instead of coilovers (I'm not bothered about adjusting the ride height), what would a comfortable shock/spring combo be? Heard the PI springs are a little more forgiving than the Eibach, but opinions vary wildly.

Not sure about the Pi but Eiback are terrible! :lol:

I do wonder if I should just change the springs on my shocks. Did buy some H&R's but then sold them before I had a chanve to fit them :confused4: