Sign in to follow this  
Abdul

Engine conversion - 1.8T or VR?

the box fits straight in. all you have to do is get some 100mm flanges (i think i got mine from an abf box, not sure) and you can use the corrado drive shafts. you just need to fit the mk4 shifter which is not a big job.

Rob, going to be using Vag management matey. Cheers for the info on the VR box...

Cheers for the info Jim, regular FMIC sounds easier lol. Im 'only' hoping for 220-230 brake to start with so think that'll do lol.

20Vturbo, sounds good matey... do u know if that would be the same box that i had in my 2001 1.8T Audi A3 (Aum code).... gearing sounds pretty similar speed wise :D

Abdul

it could be, the year is right for the box code, theres alot of different codes so i wouldnt be sure.

that gearing would be perfect for your corrado, nice even jumps in speed :D

What turbo has yours got 20vt?? How much power is she puting out???

Abdul

its got a garrett t28 and im hoping for around 290bhp ish but i dont want to expect too much

Isnt it capable of more? I would've thought you'd be looking at 300 plus.

my mate made 340 on his gt23, went really well

if you are going with the vw management, i would listen to Kev as it sounds like he has some good experience with the polo engine. if you are going stand alone, it wont matter which engine you get as long as it post 2002

i run a rallye intercooler in mine, but there are a few coolers that will fit into the corrado

Rob

Cheers for the info chaps, what are 1.8t'd rado's like on the road then? What are they comaparible to in a straight line when running say 200-250 ish bhp?? :D

Hi BIG k. Just like to say i have just about finished a 1.8t conversion on a friends Rado and it drives very nicely. It doesnt drive like a modified car ( rough and lumpy) quite smooth. Its not all finished yet. Still have some tidying up to do and to get it on the rollers next week. We did start the conversion in August though lol. :lol: A number of things came up that slowed us down. A dud first engine was the main problem but buying a house didnt help either (time) Im guessing you are planning to do the job yourself? We used a qpeng diy kit for the loom and have an AGU engine with 315cc injectors, a ko3s and quite a big intercooler. Ben from qpeng thinks about 230 hp. Anyway i wouldnt say we are experts by any means but feel free to pick away at my brains whilst things are fresh in my mind. Im sure there are a number of other people here willing to help also.

Good choice for the 1.8 i think mate, light engine with more power. :salute:

Here's an interesting K04 thread. A lot of people with K03s equipped 1.8T engines are now choosing IHI/Garrett set-ups instead of KO4, as the only one that will bolt pretty much straight on is the K04 001. The BAM ones require quite a few other changes and cost a fortune.

If you want to go down that route, pop one in in the first place, rather than upgrading later ;) The power increase/reliability etc of the K03s- K04 upgrade isn't worth the money or hassle IMHO.

[urlhttp://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3671936&page=1]Here's[/url] an interesting K04 thread. A lot of people with K03s equipped 1.8T engines are now choosing IHI/Garrett set-ups instead of KO4, as the only one that will bolt pretty much straight on is the K04 001. The BAM ones require quite a few other changes and cost a fortune.

If you want to go down that route, pop one in in the first place, rather than upgrading later ;) The power increase/reliability etc of the K03s- K04 upgrade isn't worth the money or hassle IMHO.

Thats true, tbh, if i went for near 300 bhp ish id be looking to get a diff on etc so it would make more sence to go 'balls out' and get a bit more oomph... Is it possible to run IHI/Garret set ups using Vag management though??

Marco, cheers for the offer mate, ill start now! lol... what intercooler/rad/fan set up did u use? Any pics of it? Is the FMIC hidden behind the bumper or is it visible? I really want it tucked away so no one can see lol.

Cheers,

Abdul

Ok well i cant remember where we got the intercooler from right now but ill get on the case to let you know.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIntercooler.jpg[/attachment:17ft9a4d]

Intercooler2.jpg[/attachment:17ft9a4d]

Hopefully you can see the picture ive tried to upload above. Thats where we mounted the intercooler using some home made brackets. Seems to fit in there nicely and its a decent size. Boost pipework is a bit of a squeeze but you cant see it from the front which is what we wanted. The standard 2.0 16v radiator fits behind the intercooler after cuttung off the radiator scoop bolt lugs but will probably need changing for a bigger one in the near future. If your running an IHI with 300 ish hp then you will deffinately need a larger one. There is plenty of room for a longer one with the same depth.

As for the fan. We got a slim line fan because the standard one is so big. Ill find out exactly where we got all our stuff from and let you know. Im sure you will have many questions for the forum once you get started.

Are you using standard management? We may have a loom and ecu thats been unlocked from the clocks at home too if your were interested.

Ill pm you once i get some more details.

Good luck

The standard valver gearbox and drive shafts. All fits in nicely then.

Cheers for all the above info mate on the FMIC. How much power is this Rado running and how well would u say the valver box is suited??

Abdul 8)

... Is it possible to run IHI/Garret set ups using Vag management though??

Absolutely!

You'll need larger injectors and a larger MAF, plus a bigger flowing diverter valve.

It's all doable. Plenty of big power 1.8T's using the VAG management out there!

... Is it possible to run IHI/Garret set ups using Vag management though??

Absolutely!

You'll need larger injectors and a larger MAF, plus a bigger flowing diverter valve.

It's all doable. Plenty of big power 1.8T's using the VAG management out there!

Ahh lovely, cheers for the info mate!!

Im well excited lol. Now i just need to save up for the parts n what not now!

Abdul :clap:

My Rado's been 1.8T'd now for about 2 years!!! AUQ Motor, so KO3S turbo, DBW Throttle, VVT etc! It's running Std VAG Engine management with the Later ME7.5 software...dunno the difference between 7 and 7.5 like...Maybe The Lord of VAG Knowledge Kev can explain :wave:

I'm using the 1.8T 'box which suits the motor nicely!! Just change your output flanges for 100mm ones from a 110TDi 'box or as soembody else says from an ABF 'box!! 02J 'box is a far superior 'box to the 02A ones! Make sure you swap the shift tower over or it wont work :)

I'm using std Corrado clocks too so it looks pretty factory! If you need a loom making and the ECU de-transpondering I can give you the number of Andy the VW Electrical god! he can sort that for not huge amounts well probs 1/2 the price of Qpeng anyway!!!

Custom Cooler sits nicely between the chassis legs and was a pretty good price coming in at less than £400!!! You can use a Merc Sprinter one though!!

DSC03087.jpg

Overall it look pretty factory though:

DSC03088.jpg

Power wise mine makes 195Bhp thats with a decent FMIC, Zorst and a Filter!!! Chipped up it'll probs be near 230-240Bhp!!!

On the Road it goes like fook :clap: :grin: Just remember to fit some decent brakes as 280mm G60 ones are Rubbish!!! If you are 5-stud find some Octy vRS 312mm or 4 stud I went with 4-Pot Brembos!!!

It's an excellent conversion just remember anything over 300bhp will need either a GT28 or IHI VF34 turbo and decent engine work or it'll go pop very quickly...usually on no.3 cylinder!!!!

Thanks for the info Steve, as far as i understand the guys that'll be doing my conversion are going to sort out the loom but if not ill give u a shout... is your fmic visible behind the stock bumper?? The brakes are a bitch, going to cost a fair bit as im staying 4x100 so will have to source some porka calipers and get em on with bigger disks... :(

brakes are not that exspensive.

my setup

3.2s boxster calipers £200 (brand new) :D

caliper brackets £100

seat ibiza cupra r discs 305mm £200 afaik

and throw in £100 for odds and ends

£600 all in :D

Thanks for the info Steve, as far as i understand the guys that'll be doing my conversion are going to sort out the loom but if not ill give u a shout... is your fmic visible behind the stock bumper?? The brakes are a bitch, going to cost a fair bit as im staying 4x100 so will have to source some porka calipers and get em on with bigger disks... :(

Who's doing it for you??? I Found These : http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.p ... pic=218547 Could be useful :grin:

No you can't see the FMIC when the bumper is on which I like as it gives a stealth impression.....Fit a decent Re-Circ Valve too! I can throughly recommend the Forge Split-Diverter as it gives subtle wooshy noises too :lol:

I got my Brembo set-up in a swap :norty: So did quite well!!! You could change to 5 x 100 and it would give you more brake/wheel combo's but I can see why you'd stick to 4x100 also!!! Just watch what wheels you run with Brembo/porky callipers as my wheels have bugger all dish yet you can barely get a fag paper between the calliper and innr surface of the spokes :eek:

Ye saw those Brakes Steve, i want Porka calipers though lol...

Last question for now, how low is your sump in comparison to the valver sump?? My cars pretty low as it is and due to go a bit lower soon and i honestly wont do the conversion if the sump is too low at my desired ride height unless anyone has any solutions to this??

Oh and on a random note ive got a new job so funds should be coming in at a more steady rate now :clap: