Sign in to follow this  
RACK

Alternator

Got a quick few questions;

Does anyone know a test that can be done to see if the alternator is working properly? (apart from it draining the battery)

What's the part number?

And.... Is it hard to change?? :oops:

It's on a G60 by the way?

Does the battery light come on with the ign and then go out when you start the car??

If the light does go out, in theory the output of the alternator is higher than that of the battery and should therefore be charging it. The current may be low due to high resistance/bad connections. Heavy loads like big lights, heated rear windows and multiple short journeys can deplete a battery.

Any garage should be able to prove an alternator is working. The voltage at the battery should be 12Vish and with the engine running it should rise to 13+. If it doesn't then something is amiss.

It may just need a brush/diode pack. The brushes wear out and if they become too short then the output of the alternator can be severly limited.

The pack is held on the side of the alternator with a couple of screws. It can easily be removed with the alternator in situ. The brushes a sprung loaded and should be a minimum of 5mm in length. New ones are about a cm.

GSF sell the packs pretty cheap.

It could just be a duff battery a well. The voltage check should highlight any probs there.

Regards

Gavin

The light goes out as soon as the engine is started, and I put a brand new heavy duty battery on it last week, but I left it over the weekend and the new battery was that dead there wasn't enough power to flash the alarm LED.

I've been having thoughts about the alarm draining it seen as it's a loverly Clifford :lol: , the fitter is checking it on the 30th.

Cheers for the info, I'll ring GSF about that kit.

Did the voltage check over dinner time. With the engine running it was nearly 14v. So I turned it off, armed the alarm and left it an hour. Came back and tried it and it was around 12v.

I hope this means the alternator is ok, the only thing I can put it down to, is that the battery saving function on the Clifford isn't working properly.

Anyone else got any idea??

sounds like the alternator is fine then, i'd say the Clifford is the prime suspect then :evil:

Clifford, don't you just love 'em :mad: . I've booked it in for checking, but the fitter said that if the alarm was draining the battery it would have done it from the start (3yrs ago)? I'm still getting them to look at it now I'm pretty sure it's not the car's fault, and even if it was, how can I stay mad at it :lol: