Sign in to follow this  
n3p

How the smeg do you remove this part?! (16v)

Hi all,

Currently in the process of swapping bits over onto another block, but there's one part which just refuses to budge :bad-words:

I've attached a photo, i think it's called a ventilation cylinder? VAGCAT says its held on with 4 bolts with 2 gaskets/seals - Is there something i'm missing? or some 'special' way to break the seals? Even a trusty whack with the hammer of frustration wouldn't shift it!

If anyone has removed this before, please help!

Cheers

PS:- pic shows only 3 bolts removed, but the other has now gone 8)

That's all it's held on with, 4 bolts. I wouldn't smack it too hard with the hammer as it's really thin metal and will deform easily.

The little pipe going off to the left (beginning of crank ventilation) has a slight lip or sleeve on it I think. I got mine out by prying at the edges carefully with a screwdriver. Can't remember if it has a gasket on though, so be careful!

its not that thin tbh.

be careful,don't go nuts but you'll need to smack it couple of times in different areas.then jiggle it,then smack it.

etc etc.

Its been on there a while. :)

hi there you need to get something underneath the main cross bit then slowly wedge it up if you have an extra pair of hands get somebody to use a screwdriver as well its exactly the same on my ABF but my piece is made out of plastic lol

hi there you need to get something underneath the main cross bit then slowly wedge it up if you have an extra pair of hands get somebody to use a screwdriver as well its exactly the same on my ABF but my piece is made out of plastic lol

New ones from VAG are all made of plastic and as such are rubbish.

Just get some levering action going on as already mentiond, it probably tight on the round end as there is a seal that goes into the block on that end.

Cheers for the input guys, I haven't had a chance to take another look at it yet, but will be sure to lever it out "gently" :norty: - i'll probably assign friday to working on the C again :salute:

I'm presuming that these seals *must* be replaced?

Cheers for the input guys, I haven't had a chance to take another look at it yet, but will be sure to lever it out "gently" :norty: - i'll probably assign friday to working on the C again :salute:

I'm presuming that these seals *must* be replaced?

they're only paper/fibre type gaskets and will probably tear as you remove the breather unit, cheap-ish from VW though.

AFAIK the alloy ones were the type used on the 1.8 KR and the black plastic ones are for the 2L blocks, if you compare the two they are a different fitment as the 2L blocks have a different ('bent top') to the oil filter housing mounting face.

it should come free fine if you lever it at the right point, that tab on the far left that Yan pointed out

oh, and there's a rubber 'o' ring too at the left hand end

So I finally got got round to having another go, using the levering technique - success! Would it fit the 9A? Nope :p

Does anyone either:

-have the part number for the 9A version?

-have one for sale? Boost?

Thanks

the part you need for a 9A: pretty much any 2L VW block and even smaller engines after about 1992, mine for my 6A/9A came off a 1.6 SEAT engine.

Thanks for the info again David,

Went to the scrappy and saw a few of the plastic ones on some mk3s - Just looking by eye, the hose diameter fitting looks alot smaller than the 1.8? Do you know if the hoses differ between to KR and the 9A? And if so, would the mk3 one be of any use? Just out of frustration too - what are these things actually called if i were to order one new? Would have bought it there and then, but i only brought sockets with me :bad-words:

Cheers,

Nick

it's just a breather unit (breather assy. on ETKA)

I'm using a KR hose (from the metal type of KR housing) on a 9A plastic unit, they are the same diameter outlet

027 103 772 A (metal type to 9A, chassis 50-M-021 000) (KR to chassis 50-M-035 000)

048 103 772 (9A after 50-M-021 001) (KR after 50-N-000 001) also golf ABF, 2E passat,

048 103 772C on AAM, ABS, ADZ, 2E, ADY, AEK engines, this might have the different diameter :(

never seen a late type on a KR or an early on a 9A though?