Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

VR6 cutting out when under 80C

It seems under 80C the car will try and stall when taking the foot off the accelerator (and letting the revs drop), runs very rough and is quite badly overfuelling (plugs are black). As an attempt to fix this and other issues I've now changed the blue temp sensor, ecu and fuel pump relays and its recently had a coolant and oil change. I'm also hearing a reasonably loud tapping/snapping sound which I thought was arcing one one of the leads - seems to go after the engine has warmed up though. In addition the car runs perfectly fine when its heated up fully.

What can I try out or change? I've not yet got VAG-COM so cant trace for error codes. Are there some simple checks I can do - or does this sound exactly like a particular problem?

Thanks in advance!

Are you back in Ruislip yet Leon? Give me a shout i've got VAGCOM and i'm in Northwood.

thanks for the replies guys :)

@fla - i'm moving to Denham (UB9) in 2 weeks actually - couldnt find anything decent in Ruislip - but do finally have a garage! Let the real work commence - I don't think the neighbours in Richmond liked me working on the street ;) Zak found it amusing. Away next week on holiday - but afterwards should arrange something with zak and meet up. A go on VAG-COM anytime though would be very much appreciated!

@CrazyDave/Supercharged/Toad - exactly, I removed the vortech late last year. So back with the std chip and use of the maf. Dave you're probably onto something there - I'll check the wiring tomorrow - the maf was used when I bought it so no idea if its still decent. I had thought it could be the cam sensor - but am not willing to throw money at another new part until itc convicted!

How can I get VAG-COM - believe Ross Somebody (?) sell a cable and software? I've got an Intel MacBook - is there a USB cable, rather than a serial? Any advice there also appreciated.

Also got a longer term problem back - on starting the car I get a very loud and high pitched squeeling until the cars warmed up. I've relatively recently replaced both the belt, waterpump, oilpump (for an r32 item along with the sump) and the tensioner and pulley (all VAG items). I can't locate the noise any further than the belt side - but its certainly louder through the wheel. The alternator perhaps? Anything I can do to try and identify any further?

Thanks once again

hmm, sounds like its keeping you busier than you planned then Leon.. hope you get to the bottom of all of it (or just go for that new engine ;))..

How can I get VAG-COM - believe Ross Somebody (?) sell a cable and software? I've got an Intel MacBook - is there a USB cable, rather than a serial? Any advice there also appreciated.

Also got a longer term problem back - on starting the car I get a very loud and high pitched squeeling until the cars warmed up. I've relatively recently replaced both the belt, waterpump, oilpump (for an r32 item along with the sump) and the tensioner and pulley (all VAG items).

If it's making arcing noises then the obvious thing is to check your coil pack and HT leads over. It's not unusual for thermal changes to make coil packs STOP working or even START working as gaps open and close with temperature changes.

www.ross-tech.com for vag-com bits, but you can get generic cables off ebay (the older the better, for a VR6) and use the freeware version of the software to do the basics. Yes they do lots of USB cables now (essentially doing USB->serial in the cable). Not sure about Mac support. You might need to boot Windoze..

As for the squealing .. sounds like you've covered every component except the power steering pump+alternator, so take the belt off and see if it still squeals. (Don't run it for long without a water pump though!!)