Sign in to follow this  
tribetype40

24V conversions made 'weekend' E A S Y !!!

Afternoon fellas,

A feeler this one, but I have sucessfully managed to get the 24v engine running from the VR6 engine management and have developed a kit of parts for doing this.

The result is the conversion can be done in a weekend and be ready for mapping on the Monday!

I've yet to get mine mapped but I'm confident the results will be good (it currently runs and idles as normal but is a little rich due to the bigger inectors). I should have it mapped by the end of May so more news and results will follow.

My question is this: are people interested in either buying the kit of parts, or if you bought your 24V to me I could modify it ready to fit. I might also be able to offer to do the complete conversion but I need to make some garage space or I'll be single pretty quickly! (this is only for VR6 engined cars)

I have currently only done this to an AUE engine but once mapped this conversion will be for sale (so register your interest!) after I have developed the kit on the R32 engine I have and which will be fitted later.

It controlls the variable inlet but I'm still working on a device to control the cam advance, however this can be retro fitted at any time. I will be getting it mapped with and without cam control as a comparision. I expect to see that this does not affect overall power but improves the torque curve.

I'm not going to divulge how it is done or what it includes (so please done ask) but it works and can be seen running if you wish to view it (should have a video in a few weeks). If your interested let me know and I will get an idea of how many parts I will need to get made and should be able to work out rough costs at that stage.

Oh and it works with the standard Corrado dials with all rev counter MFA/MPG functions working 100% !!!

Cheers

Doug

:wave:

sounds very interesting!

would ideally want to see a graph of it mapped using your kit versus a graph of an equivalent engine running on its standard management in a standard 24v car to understand any variations in performance though.

i would be one of the people interested but the cam advance problem would have to be sorted. what kind of money would you be looking for this conversion

Thanks. it been a sh!t load of work and research to get it sorted but once I'd done all the background work it was so worth it to fit it all up and go turn the key (with no ecu changes and have the car fire up and settle to an idle straight away, it was an awesome feeling!

Its difficult to say price wise. As is, without the Cam control I'm aiming at a £500 kit.

The cam control is a little more complicated so this could possible add another £100-200

If I were to prep the engine I would need the new engine and the vr6 engine, and it would 2 days work. So looking at £750ish (including the kit)

To do a complete engine conversion ready to collect (without ecu mapping) then we’re probably looking at 1300-1500 depending on how you wanted the engine bay to look (MK4 look with air box (1500 ish), relocated power steering reservoir etc or engine fitted cone filter (1300)

So if you gave me your car on a Friday with an AUE engine (which can be had for 500-600!) and a suitable exhaust manifold (dubpower?) you could be looking to drive away the following Friday all done for under 2K! (no can control, no mapping(although I could get this done at cost as Stealth , MRC and AMD are local to me)

But with all things this early on these are all conservative estimates and the more people interested in this the cheaper the part will be for me to get made so the cost would come down.

I will have mine finished by the end of may so I will be able to let you know how it is and you’ll be able to see the engine bay etc.

Cheers

Doug

while I wait for my diagnosis of engine problem I too would register interest in your offer if it came to a headgasket spend vs engine upgrade + power = more fun then engine 100%.

:clap:

Oli

I suspect you may well have just created yourself an excellent revenue stream here. £2,000 all in for a 24V conversion which you tackle over the weekend would be hugely appealing longer term for me.

I'll keep an eye on this! :)

good work doug :notworthy:

does it matter if the vr's managment is obd1 or obd2?? only asking as would you be able to use the c2 turbo chip on the 24v??

i WILL be in touch but not this year to getting this done.

well done.

karl

Thanks guys. As for which VR it has to be a coilpack equiped VR. I'm not up to speed on which is OBD1 or OBD2 (i didn't think any VRs were OBD2?) but mine WAS a '94 M reg.

all Corrado VRs are OBD1 (are you going to offer this to Golf owners too?) but they can be "upgraded" to obd2. I know you dont want to give away your secrets but the levels of management control over the engine would be interesting to know compared to either standard Mk4 or OBD2.

understand that you dont have all the answers right now though!

Doh.. didn't see the bit about needing a VR as the donor. That's me out for now then!

You'll only need a few bits to convert it.

VR6 engine loom, Ecu and a handfull of bits from a dead VR engine (probably best to get a VR gearbox to!) It s a little more work but very 'do-able'

Excellent work! One question, do you think this 'kit' could be adapted for Golf VR6s too?

I'm going to keep an eye on this as Im just getting ready for a r32 conversion.

What are the benefits of using this and not a "VAG doctor" modified mk4/5 loom? I could be wrong but dont the prices work out to be roughly the same?

Only selling point to me so far is the working MFA. But selling the old vr engine with all the wiring and ecu maay be easier to shift

What are the benefits of using this and not a "VAG doctor" modified mk4/5 loom? I could be wrong but dont the prices work out to be roughly the same?

The benefit is if you don't have the MK5 ECU or loom etc, this is a (potentially) easy way round it. But I can't see how the DBW throttle is going to work for starters, and the cam control is tied in with the EGR if I remember rightly, which on cold start up and warm, gives a lot of cam overlap to reburn the over rich exhaust gases. When then engine's warm, the cam control switches off. It's not a 'VTEC' system, far from it. Maybe Stealth could confirm that.

Only selling point to me so far is the working MFA. But selling the old vr engine with all the wiring and ecu maay be easier to shift

What makes an R32 an R32 is it's ME7 engine management. It just won't be the same running off a cable throttle and narrowband lambda etc etc.

Personally I'd put optimum performance way ahead of a working MFA on the priority list!

The benefit is if you don't have the MK5 ECU or loom etc, this is a (potentially) easy way round it. But I can't see how the DBW throttle is going to work for starters, and the cam control is tied in with the EGR if I remember rightly, which on cold start up and warm, gives a lot of cam overlap to reburn the over rich exhaust gases. When then engine's warm, the cam control switches off. It's not a 'VTEC' system, far from it. Maybe Stealth could confirm that.

What makes an R32 an R32 is it's ME7 engine management. It just won't be the same running off a cable throttle and narrowband lambda etc etc.

Personally I'd put optimum performance way ahead of a working MFA on the priority list!

Whats so special about the R32's management dude? Ive heard this before but never really understood why its better than aftermarket or in this case Vr management...

I would be very surprised if he's still using the DBW, I'd say he's swapping sensors / making mechanical mods to allow the 12v sensors / TB to be used. It will be interesting to see how he intends to incorporate cam control.

But fair play to the guy for working it all out / making it work.

I'd be surprised if the stock variable cam control simply "switches off" when the engine is up to temp, it would be a waste of all that engineering time / money if so.

The R32 engine is still "just" an engine Kev, ME7 is a very cool system but torque is still torque and bhp is still torque times rpm!

Most of ME7's "coolness" factor comes from getting the power they do while meeting Euro 4 (or is it Euro 5 now? I loose track of the bureaucratic emissions BS).

As long as you can optimise the ign & fueling it will make the power, OK it may not be quite as "foolproof" as the stock system, the knock control would not be so good so you'd have to leave a little more "headroom", no ESP or any of those other irritating "protect me from myself" nanny devices would function either :lol: hmmm sounds like a "win" to me!

BTW How's your VRt running, did I read you junked the DTA in favour of a return to OBD2? I owe you some tuning info too don't I! I must dig that out and mail it over

Cheers

Simon

Great work Doug, Jay was telling me about this earlier and the whole idea and what you have done is very impressive. Your going to make a great upgrade for all VR6 owners who have tired engines or want more at a affordable cost.

Look forward to seeing and hearing progress on your.

Vick :)

Cheers for the good comments guys.

I had a few problems lately, mostly getting it ready for the MOT. The rear doesn't seem to have ever had any servicing ! the discs were waffer thin and all the bolts back there have needed replacing. Then the 90 degree elbow on the top of the rad gave way! BUT!!!..

As promised I am uploading a video of it as I type so you should be able to see the progress in a bit.

The vid shows the engine is running on standard VR6 ecu WITH NO MAPPING as yet. it actually runs so well I'm confident it will drive well as it is and mapping will only involve some tweeks to the fueling.

(oh and ignor the oil light on the dials, I'm using MK4 dials and not fully wired yet!)