Sign in to follow this  
Dave.Warlord

Getting carried away...FINISHED!!!!

:notworthy: I did exactly the same, trouble is my engine had to come out again :bad-words: So whilst waiting for the relaunch have sand blasted some more bits, including the gearbox :shock:

Had the same thing happen on both wishbone bolts on my TDI, I think it's because they were re-used and over-tightened as my original G60 ones just undid easily with the same force as a wheel bolt.

If you have the cross member off it should be easier - we used a cutting disk on mine, bent the metal out of the way to get to the bolt then used heat to undo and welded back up again.

It's a bit of a bodge but works fine and won't really matter if you're getting powder-coated - the other option is a new subframe, £220 ish from VW

I have done that fine bodge many times, altho on the last one I did the bolt was so seized into the nut i ended up with no bolt left sticking out because the nut i welded on just kept shearing the bolt off a bit further down like i had about 9 foot pipe on the end of the bar, in the end some chap off here sold me a subframe posted for about 40 quid and had loads of other offers of around the same, ment 2 days were lost but wasa cheap n easy fix

I had to have a few days off working on the Rado. Working full time and spending every night in the garage untill midnight was starting to ruin me. To the point where I was just milling around aimlessly scratchin my head.

All refreshed now got the block and gearbox in and been sorting through the loom. From the way its wired up from the factory, I think ze Germans had big shoes and red noses on cos its a total joke with about 4 miles of unnecessary cable.

Also been just mocking up the front intercooler and deciding where and how I'm gonna run the boost hoses. Maybe thinking of putting an oil cooler where the orignal intercooler was too.

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

Is everything in the drivetrain powdercoated, or did you use some other stuff on the wishbones etc?....

Haven't made up my mind just yet what I'l do with mine, either powdercoat or some sort of epoxy.

Is everything in the drivetrain powdercoated, or did you use some other stuff on the wishbones etc?....

Haven't made up my mind just yet what I'l do with mine, either powdercoat or some sort of epoxy.

Powdercoated everything but the block and gearbox

Lots more progress. Trimmed the intercooler down a bit and removed the plastic ends. Mocked up with cardboard how I want it and shall do the cad drawings over the weekend to send to the lazer cutters early next week.

Changed the cracked piston today (woo hoo :clap: ) as that was what all this started out as and put the head back on. Also the charger bracket and PAS pump.

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2476-1.jpg

Started having a look at making the charger outlet today. Parts for the IC are being cut out and hopefully will get them by the end of the week. Got a rough idea on how the boost hoses will go now and just need to decide exactly on the angles for the rest of ally and silicone I need to order when the IC is finished.

Got the water hoses back on and a good amount of the loom sorted.

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

I could do with a little advise if someone will indulge me.

Would it be best to remove the boost recirc pipe and go from the rocker oil breather to a catch can. Then from the catch can to blanking plate on the chargers boost return inlet? Then reroute the isv back into the throttle intake.

Or

As above but let the isv breath to air.

Or

Leave it stock

Or

Any other suggestions I have not considered.

I must have searched for 3 hours now and can't quite find a straight answer :bad-words: .

Cheers

(Stage 4 charger, 68mm pulley, front mounted IC)

Well if anyones still reading this topic I'm getting close now.

One final mock up before all the IC pipes and fittings are welded up, fluids and and a few bits and bobs and she should be ready for a run. Getting nervious about the first turn of the key now though.

Hopefully be back on the road for the CCGB meet at Cosford later in the month.

IMG_2519.jpg

Just read through your thread, nice job mate :clap: she will be a minter when you finish it

Hopefully these will be the final pics before the grand starting ceremony. As soon as I get the serp pulley problem sorted the old girls ready for a run :D

Now on day 54 of a job that was gonna take a weekend :lol:

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

Good stuff matey looking very nice indeed, i know how easy it is to get carried away with it, i wanted just to paint my rear beam then came new bushes new exhaust, fuel tank off, heat shield off, cleaned and checked for rust.....four months and £800 later just finished, not driven her for seven months........just got to keep the faith.........good luck........ :wave:

That is one seriously clean looking bay now mate!

Been watching this thread, but only just noticed you're from Cannock, I'm a couple of miles down from you in Cheslyn Hay.

Never seen you about though?

Anyway, good work! 8)

yeah spose to take a weekend but you gota be glad you did all the extra work cos it looks effin ace mate =] :D :D :D

yeh man that bay looks really good, worth the effort for sure

Cheers lads

That is one seriously clean looking bay now mate!

Been watching this thread, but only just noticed you're from Cannock, I'm a couple of miles down from you in Cheslyn Hay.

Never seen you about though?

Anyway, good work! 8)

Car was in storage for three years mate while I did houses and kids and stuff. Only came back out at the end of Feb this year after a rebuild. Back for a month or so and just finished running it in then :epicfail:

Hopefully gonna put some miles on it through the summer and do some shows and meets. Then shes off the road again for the winter to do what I've done to the bay to the underneath and the rear. Gonna have the RS's re-done. Either re-polished or chromed. Aint decided yet. The plan was to get her running sweetly first with 200 ponies under the bonnet. Hopefully should have that now... Fingers crossed

Well the old girl started tonight...... first turn of the key. :D

Got a slight water leak coming from around the waterpump somewhere (maybe the plastic flange on the bottom) and somethings blowing (downpipe, or one of the manifolds I think or maybe it was just loud in the garage didn't got time to have a proper look)

Dropped it back on its wheels and couldn't get over how low it was. Been so used to seeing it a foot off the floor on stands.

Gonna pull it out tomorrow and have a good look in the light. Got hot very quick too so may be have an airlock somewhere as the heaters were blowing cold. Hopefully just a few teething problems.. FIngers crossed

Right heaters are blowing hot now. It was an air lock :)

But the wierd blowing sound is doing my head in. I cant feel it blowing anywhere. From the top it sounds like its coming from the exhaust/inlet manifold and from underneath it sounds like the downpipe somewhere. Would it make wierd blowing noises if the timing needed setting up properly?