Sign in to follow this  
myles

vr6 on 5 !!!!!!

have a 95 vr6 with 170k which started running on 5 cylinders the other day. when it is running it is smoky and smells of petrol. i narrowed it down to no 2 cylinder (lhs of bottom bank as you look)took out plug which was covered in petrol and did a compression test which read 150lbs. changed the lead but no joy. when i took out the plug again i noticed the cylinder was full of petrol .

how could this be ?

an injector problem ?

thanks for any help submitted.

Had similar problem but already changed plugs leads and coilpack and problem gone.

Check coilpack, it can help.

tried different plug , have not changed the coil pack.the petrol is not getting out of the cylinder at all, has to be a valve problem surely ?

tried different plug , have not changed the coil pack.the petrol is not getting out of the cylinder at all, has to be a valve problem surely ?

It looks simply, petrol is not burned, so there is no spark. Try to change coilpack.

but surely the petrol would still be pushed out the exhaust ? the engine will now not turn over at all with plug no2 in , i assume because the petrol in the bore is jamming it.

It's possible the injector is stuck open flooding the cylinder, but that's rare. Get a spark tester first. I also doubt it's the coil pack because there's only three coils so you'd have trouble on TWO cylinders if the CP was faulty. You may well have a duff lead or spark plug though, and that's the obvious place to start. Note that once the cylinder is that badly flooded you'll likely have to run it with some significant throttle (i.e. get a lot of air through it) before it will clear enough to start burning again.

I sincerely doubt you have a broken valve/valve stem, you'd well know about that!

have tested the spark with another plug and it seems to be ok. i think too much petrol is going into the cylinder . i turned it over with the plug out and its throwing out a lot of petrol.

will check injector tomorrow , thanks

Hey, im having the same problem. just wondered if this has been sorted.

The plug was covered in petrol, swapped the ht leads to see if it was that and nothing, cleaned the spark plug and put it back in still no joy. Any idea's?