Sign in to follow this  
andy

VR6 rpm question

What engine speed should be seen in a standard VR6 at 120mph? I may have nudged this speed on a private stretch of road recently and was suprised how hard the engine was revving, it didn't seem like it would have had the remaining revs left to get to 145 ish?

Well I've had mine up to that speed before (on a private road), it sailed up to there very quickly an was still pulling strong.

I know that mine has got the 2.9 ABV lump, can't really rember what the revs it was.

Has your engine ever been changed? Possibly got the 2.8 AAA lump?

Well I can say the Corrado VR as std will hit 145mph.

Unfortunately i saw the police video to prove it :(

Schitt!! With you at the wheel?

You facing a ban?!

It was revving at 5k at 120mph. Thinking about it, to achieve another 25mph with another 1000-1800? rpm to go in 5th is perfectly reasonable. It just seemed a bit err noisy and uncivilised, perhaps thats my BMC Cda and Magnex... It got there very quickly and was still pulling like a train, it just didn't seem as relaxed as I was expecting! I think I may be getting too used to my 09 Octavia 140 TDi Hire car.

mph / 1000 rpm 1st 5.2, 2nd 9.3, 3rd 13.5, 4th 19.2, 5th 23.5

So in 5th at 120mph ( 1000 * 120 ) / 23.5 = ~5100rpm. Add another 1000 or so for 145mph. I would imagine you'll hit the aero limits before you hit rev limits at those sorts of speeds, but I wouldn't know; I've only got the balls to do ~125 on my private test track.

So in 5th at 120mph ( 1000 * 120 ) / 23.5 = ~5100rpm. Add another 1000 or so for 145mph.

Thanks Timbo, all seems in order then!

Schitt!! With you at the wheel?

You facing a ban?!

Yeah me driving. Fortunately due to my 'good driving' at said speed they let me off at 101mph. Magistrates visit £500 fine 6 points. All gone now though fortunately and lesson learned :grin:

Lucky.. if they were feeling mean, they could have sent you to jail for that kind of speed...

Lucky.. if they were feeling mean, they could have sent you to jail for that kind of speed...

Yeah I know. Its not big and its not clever. I was all ready with my hands out awaiting the cuffs!

Think they were really more interested in catching the Evo that I was following however. Fortunately for them/unfortunately for me they were just a 'little' too fast for the Volvo :grin: