Sign in to follow this  
timg60

Scirocco R

there are a lot better cars for 25k out there imo (second hand though) stil nice, but i still would prefer a corrado

there are a lot better cars for 25k out there imo (second hand though) stil nice, but i still would prefer a corrado

I agree. Do love the Scirocco but as nice as it is to look at and drive still doesnt change the fact it has no soul :grin: Mostly down to the boring boring VW 2.0 engines. Upgrade of the even more boring 1.8T engines...

Nice 8)

I thought this looked ok as well http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1036320.htm

What the hell! Insurance group 12...I'm insurance group 18 (UK) or 28 (Germany) in my VR6. Surely that can't just be down to mine being easier to steal due to its age?

I couldn't actually confirm what group I'm in with my 16V but Parkers have it listed as group 15.

I agree that the near £25k it is a little pricey. However I am seriously looking into getting a Scirocco at the moment.

Whilst a 911 would be great and there are many more within this price range I couldnt insure one for £265 fully comp a year (I'm only 25) and the tax would be more than £175.

Buying the 911 (933 or early 996 I assume) is only half the battle. The real struggle is running the thing, and insuring it as you say, especially if it's a daily driver.

I don't know how much 911 N Rated tyres are these days but I'm pretty sure you can replace 2 or 3 of the Scirocco's tyres for the same price as one 911 rear tyre, especially if it's an 18" wheel! Same with the brakes. You can replace ALL of the discs and pads on a Scirocco for the same price as 1 axle on the 911, depending on age and spec of the 911.

Exhausts, cats, servicing etc etc....all astronomical in 911 land, unless you find a cheap, but very good independant.

The Rocco being mainstream and Golf based, will be MASSIVELY cheaper to own, but not as thrilling as 911 ownership :D

Plus you'll get a warranty with the Rocco and not have to MOT it for 3 years.

I always find it funny when people say "you could have 'x' car second hand for that money". Yes, but they never take into account the running costs of a high performance sports car with its one off parts and even just petrol and insurance (and soon a huge road tax as well).

Thing is though, I've never understood why the air cooled 911s are so expensive to run. OK, the 3.6 Varioram is quite juicy as it's a big engine, but it's just a basic air cooled engine....a glorified beetle (that'll prod the 911 lover's hornet's nest, ha ha) :D The plugs are quite tricky to get to, but it's no biggy for a decent independant.

911 engine rebuilds are absolutely scary money, as are wishbone replacements (can't buy bushes seperately) etc etc. You need £25K to buy one and £25K to run it for the first year imo, which includes insurance, fuel, tax, servicing & repairs to get it up to standard.

911 engine rebuilds are absolutely scary money, as are wishbone replacements (can't buy bushes seperately) etc etc. You need £25K to buy one and £25K to run it for the first year imo, which includes insurance, fuel, tax, servicing & repairs to get it up to standard.

Dont think they are that scary mate.

My mums friend has run a 993 for 8 years. Only costs her £500 insurance and she hasnt had any scary bills. Plus she has probably only lost £4k in deprciation. Plus people do say the new models 996 + cost less for servicing :shrug: Has to depend on what car you originally buy and as you say who you take it to.

How many miles does she do in a day though?

And how old is she? It won't cost blokes under 30 £500 a year to insure, not if it's a daily. Closer to double that. Cheaper on limited mileage, but who wants to limit their 911 thrill to once a month? :shrug:

I suscribed to a couple of 911 magazines a few years ago as I was seriously tempted to buy one, and to rebuild a 3.6 993 engine properly was around £10 grand. Considerably more for the turbo engine, not that we can afford a 993 turbo to begin with :lol: It's the same with everything though, you get your expensive bits and your cheap bits, some go on for years with no trouble, others rape your wallet. I just don't think people should go into 911 ownership blind, they should be aware of the potential expense just the same as any other car.

Don't get me wrong though, of all the supercars out there, the 911 is easily the most reliable by a long margin :D

buying new cars is a mugs game, you will lose more money buying a new car than servicing and putting a new MOT on a car with low mileage normally... depends on how long you plan to keep it and how many miles you are going to do. My mate got a brand new Civic sport for something like 15k, paid £400 a month or something for 5-6 years, then sold it for 4k, he must of lost over 13k on that car, it had very low mileage as he didnt commute anywhere.

and if your after a fast performance car the sircocco R isnt for you!!

How many miles does she do in a day though?

Yeah ok she probably does £3k a year and is 55 but hey you could always have a 911 and an old banger for the daily grind! :grin:

Im not saying they arent expensive to run, but its like the C you could spend a fortune on the VR6 engine. But it can be done well on a budget as well.

buying new cars is a mugs game, you will lose more money buying a new car than servicing and putting a new MOT on a car with low mileage normally... depends on how long you plan to keep it and how many miles you are going to do.

Exactly.

If you take depreciation into account a 993 really isnt a bad proposition at all!

lets all chip in and buy a porsche, then we can all have a drive and get it out of our systems, then when we get back in our rados we will again realise why we like them so much, job done :grin:

lets all chip in and buy a porsche, then we can all have a drive and get it out of our systems, then when we get back in our rados we will again realise why we like them so much, job done :grin:

If only, we will get back in our Rado's and they will feel shit LOL

If you take depreciation into account a 993 really isnt a bad proposition at all!

buy one, drive it for a year or so and then sell it on, you wont of lost much and what you would of spent would of been worth it i would imagine??

If only, we will get back in our Rado's and they will feel **** LOL

:lol:

nah, i think i would look a right nob in a porka, i personally think i would be happy getting back in it :|

If only, we will get back in our Rado's and they will feel **** LOL

:lol:

nah, i think i would look a right nob in a porka, i personally think i would be happy getting back in it :|

Yeah me to! :lol: Quite fancy a 968 Club Sport still though.....

have you ever drove one?? i havent, but im going to stick my neck out and say a corrado VR6 is better driving experience :nuts: maybe someone can add to that...

have you ever drove one?? i havent, but im going to stick my neck out and say a corrado VR6 is better driving experience :nuts: maybe someone can add to that...

Yeah I was looking at them 8 years ago along with the E30 M3. Struggled to find a nice one of either for my £10k budget though and in the end after a year of looking I saw and bought my VR :D As nice as the Corrado is you still cannot beat a nice lightish RWD car.

yeah i suppose RWD is nice in a light car as you say, but i think the novelty would wear off with me fairly quickly...

with corrados, people always come back, its nice to have a change obviously, but you soon realise a corrado is the car for you :grin:

I have. Try not to think of a 911 as being a better drive to a Corrado, but rather a different one :D

No matter what 2 cars you compare, one will do something far better than the other, and vice versa.

I drove a 993 some time ago and if I'm being honest, i was slightly dissapointed, especially as it was my dream car for so many years. The steering was vaguer than I was hoping for, the brakes needed a much harder shove than expected and it wasn't as quick as I imagined (3.6) and the floor mounted pedals and gearshift take some getting used to. But grip, cornering speeds, acceleration out of bends, handling, ride quality are all far, far superior to the Corrados, like you wouldn't believe. Chalk and cheese.

You could make a Corrado as fast as a Veyron, but it would always be just a Corrado, it'll never drive like a 911. Not saying that's a bad thing, just a different thing. Drive one and you'll see what I mean!

Mostly down to the boring boring VW 2.0 engines. Upgrade of the even more boring 1.8T engines...

I really don't understand why people seem to think the 1.8 and 2.0 Turbo VW engines are boring. I've had my TT for about 6 months now and I can say that my 265bhp/280ftlb 1.8 20v Turbo quattro keeps me entertained! :nuts:

I also don't understand why people compare a new car with a second hand one. Every car is different and to compare a new rocco with a porka is just insane! They are built for different jobs!

Personally, I'd love a new rocco. I'm actually looking at getting one in Viper green with a 1.4 TSi engine in it.

I would also love a porka, but do I want a car which will ultimately cost me more to run? Not sure if I would, but there are plenty others who would.

Different strokes for different blokes (and ladies).

I really don't understand why people seem to think the 1.8 and 2.0 Turbo VW engines are boring. I've had my TT for about 6 months now and I can say that my 265bhp/280ftlb 1.8 20v Turbo quattro keeps me entertained! :nuts:

Me neither! Love driving my vRS. Power delivery is superb, sounds great too- turbo whistle, DV sneeze, rumble from the exhaust and wub-wub from the BMC. Great combination 8)

Mostly down to the boring boring VW 2.0 engines. Upgrade of the even more boring 1.8T engines...

I really don't understand why people seem to think the 1.8 and 2.0 Turbo VW engines are boring.

Not saying they arent effective.

They are just boring in sound and in power delivery. I dont want a car that can do 120mph whilst feeling like it is only doing 70mph :shrug: As you say though horses for courses.

They are just boring in sound and in power delivery.

Mine isn't :roll: :p

LOL fair enough :tongue: :grin: