Sign in to follow this  
funboxvr6

VR6 Shuddering, Low on Power, Low Exhaust Note - Help Please

Hi All

Was driving home today in my VR (N reg), I stopped at a roundabout and the engine died. It started up ok but there was a low "shuddering" engine noise/feel - like the exhaust was blowing combined with a misfire too. I pulled away and noticed a distinct lack of power, The shuddering noise is throughout the rev range as is the low power. I got home and checked the engine bay & exhaust but nothing obvious, the exhaust note is very low.

Has anyyone experienced this or might know what's wrong? I was thinking maybe the cat or the lamda sensor - any pointers?

All help very gratefully received.

Thank you

swap over and see :(

You could inspect the coilpack for cracks- but mine looked perfect and but still had a failed coil.

If its still on its original coilpack, goes from running perfect to bad in an instant, low power and sounds like a tractor then this is all classic coilpack stuff.

Pull you plugs first and check the condition of them and see if they spark when connected to the HT leads.

If two dont, and the are on the same coil, ie 1 and 4, 2 and 5 or 3 and 6. Then that's a sure fire sign that one of the coils in the pack has died.

There's a vague possibility that one plug has failed and needs replacing. Mine used to oil one plug and it would fail, I think the bores where glazed when I got it through city driving - they're not now :grin: and it hasn't done it for about 5 years.

Guys, thanks for your help, it was the coilpack.

Very grateful for the advice and info from you knowlegable fellows!

Cheers